Holiday baking is interrupted to bring you this super easy vegan candy recipe that requires no baking! These Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cups are an amazing vegan holiday candy recipe.
So, if your oven is crammed with cookies already, this easy vegan candy recipe can be made while cookies bake. And it makes an amazing addition to any cookie box, or you can fill a tin with them and give them as a gift all on their own!
This recipe for Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cups only uses 5 ingredients! Yes, only 5 simple ingredients are needed to make this vegan holiday candy recipe!
Tips for Making the Best Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cups
Buy high quality cupcake liners. Buying a high quality cupcake liner is a good idea for this recipe. I used the standard brown kraft cupcake liners that I always use, and they stuck pretty bad. I would recommend a thick and glossy type cupcake liner. You could even use a festive liner for these cups!
I temper the chocolate in this recipe because that’s a great thing to do if you are gifting them to someone. But, if you’re just making them for yourself or even if you are feeling lazy, you do not have to temper the chocolate. If you don’t temper the chocolate, you may just want to store in the fridge so it doesn’t sweat. But this time of year it is cooler out, and you shouldn’t have much trouble with that either!
I use dark chocolate from Mama Ganache, it comes in small round medallions. But, you can also use a chocolate bar and just roughly chop it up.
Ingredients I used to make this recipe for Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cups
Costco Kirkland Organic Coconut Oil
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint CupsDifficulty: Easy
The perfect addition to any holiday cookie box is these Vegan Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cups!
6 organic candy canes
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic coconut oil, melted
226 grams (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons organic peppermint flavor
20 ounces organic dark chocolate
- Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Chop or crush candy canes and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the coconut oil, powdered sugar, and peppermint flavor and mix on to combine. Speed mixer up to high and whip until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag with no tip and set aside.
- Using a double boiler, add 80% of the chocolate and melt until it reaches 115°F on a chocolate thermometer. Remove from the heat and add in the remaining 20% of the chocolate. Stir to combine completely. Allow the chocolate to come down to 91°F.
- Fill the cupcake liners one-third with chocolate. Place the tray in the freezer to set for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and pipe a dollop of filling into each cupcake cup, going all the way to the edge. Add chocolate on top and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.
- Place back in the freezer to set, about 25 minutes.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 2 weeks.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Chocolate Peanut Caramel Candies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!