I don’t drink coffee. And that may come as a shock to some of you as you may think I need it for getting up early to own a bake shop. But, it’s just something I never started drinking. I love the smell of fresh coffee as I woke up to it every morning growing up as both of my parents are coffee drinkers. And more times than not, coffee ice cream was the only ice cream in our freezer because it was my mom’s and she didn’t let us have desserts very often. So, I grew up loving coffee ice cream. Which of course made me think I’d like coffee too, but it’s just not for me.
I have worked in many coffee shops and also frequented them with friends, yet I never get coffee. Sometimes I’ll get a hot chocolate or tea, but my drink of choice for many years was a vanilla steamer. There was a little coffee hut at my home mountain, Nubs Nob, that was located in a small little corner of the lodge. It became the spot where my friends and I hung out on the regular, and while everyone else was getting a coffee or a mocha I was getting a vanilla steamer.
What is a vanilla steamer? It’s basically warm vanilla milk and it’s so good! Today I’m sharing a recipe for my Vanilla Bean Steamer. I make this one using real ground vanilla bean, as opposed to a vanilla syrup (like most coffee shops use). And I make fresh whipped cream as well. Get the recipe below for my Vanilla Steamer.
Tips for Making the Best Vanilla Bean Steamer
• Use whole milk. All coffee shops use whole milk, but it also gives more flavor and body to such a simple drink.
• Use fresh ground vanilla bean. You can also use a whole vanilla bean if you have one and scrape out the inside.
• Use a drink thermometer. This is super important so you don’t burn your milk. Milk will burn after it reaches 160°F so I always heat drinks to 140°F as that is drinking temperature (I think) and there’s no error for burning. If you like piping hot, go to 160°F but don’t go any higher or your milk may taste burnt.
• You can use a frother to create a foamy top if you like as well.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Vanilla Bean SteamerDifficulty: Easy
This simple Vanilla Bean Steamer is like the vanilla version of hot cocoa. This will warm you up on a cold winter day.
- Whipped Cream
1/2 cup organic heavy whipping cream
3/4 teaspoon organic cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 cups organic milk
28 grams (2 tablespoons) organic cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon organic ground vanilla bean
- whipping cream, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk on low and gradually increase speed to high as whipped cream thickens. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- To make the steamer: In a small saucepan, add the milk, cane sugar, and ground vanilla bean. Cook over high heat until it reaches 140°F on a drink thermometer. Remove from heat and pour into mugs.
- Top with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!