My scone recipes have been super popular on the blog, so you guys are inspiring me to keep making more! And I’ve kinda become obsessed with scones lately. If you loved my Citrus Scones or my Maple Cranberry Scones, then you are sure to love this recipe for Toasted Coconut Chocolate Scones.
This recipe for Toasted Coconut Chocolate Scones is less sweet than my other scone recipes, as the Dutch cocoa is added and takes away some of the sweetness and provides a truly chocolate scone. So, if you’re looking for a slightly less sweet scone recipe, then this is it! Plus, the toasted coconut on top gives it a little more flavor which I absolutely love. This Toasted Coconut Scone goes perfect with an iced coffee or a fruit smoothie for an easy breakfast that is absolutely delicious!
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Toasted Coconut Chocolate SconesDifficulty: Easy
Not as sweet as your traditional scone, these chocolate scones are topped with toasted coconut for a subtly sweet snack anytime of day.
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
75 grams (1/3 cup) organic cane sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
5.3 ounces (1 container) So Delicious Organic Chocolate Yogurt
1 organic large egg
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, cold
organic coconut milk
organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, cocoa, cane sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix on low to for 2 to 3 rotations to combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg and chocolate yogurt, do not mix yet.
- Using a large grater, grate the butter and add to the flour mixture and mix on low to combine. You’ll have to scrape the bowl to help combine the dry ingredients, and I find it’s easier to finish combining with your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a round disk that is about 7-inches in diameter. Using a sharp knife, cut into 6 triangle pieces like a pie. Separate the pieces so they are spaced evenly apart.
- In a small dish, add the 2 tablespoons of coconut milk for the topping. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones to coat completely. Sprinkle the tops with the fine shredded coconut.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until set and dry and the coconut is toasted. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free — Replace the all purpose flour with 269 grams (1 3/4 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude — Bake at 400°F for 18 to 22 minutes or until set and dry and the coconut is toasted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!