Forgot the candy with artificial colors this year and make these Sweet & Salty Candy Cookies for your Halloween party! I use naturally colored chocolate gems in a rich chocolate cookie with pretzels for a sweet and salty cookie everyone will love!
If you like sweet and salty cookies as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorite recipes like my Salted Toffee Dark Chocolate Cookies, Eggless Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies, or my Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
These cookies are rich, chocolatey, soft, and chewy. Plus, they're filled with milk chocolate candies and pretzels with a sprinkle of sea salt on top. What's not to love!?
These Sweet & Salty Candy Cookies make an amazing addition to your Halloween dessert table. I used Sun Drops for this recipe, (which is why they are the perfect Halloween colors) but they no longer make them! Unreal's Milk Chocolate Gems are basically the same thing, or you could also use YumEarth's Choco Yums.
Ingredients for Sweet & Salty Candy Cookies
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Sweet & Salty Candy CookiesDifficulty: Easy
A thick and chewy rich chocolate cookie is filled with Unreal Milk Chocolate Gems for a sweet and salty cookie that tastes like candy.
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic butter, softened
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs
43 grams (1/2 cup) Dutch cocoa, sifted
198 grams (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 bag (6 ounces) Unreal Milk Chocolate Gems
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic pretzels
15 grams (1 teaspoon) cane sugar
15 grams (1 teaspoon) fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment aper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the butter, sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the eggs, cocoa, flour, baking powder and sea salt into the mixing bowl in that order. Then mix on low until almost combined.
- Add the candy and pretzels and mix on low until combined.
- Using your hands, form the cookies into 24 balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly so they are about 2-inches in diameter and look like a round disk. Space them at least 1-inch apart, they will spread a little when baking.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until puffy and set.
- To make the topping: In a small dish add the sugar and sea salt together and mix.
- Once the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle with sugar and sea salt mixture.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the all purpose flour with 212 grams (1 1/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 375°F for 8 minutes or until puffy and set.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my post Healthy Halloween Candy Roundup, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!