Valentine’s Day is tomorrow. And if you haven’t gotten your special someone anything yet, then you’re in luck as I have a really easy Valentine’s Day cookie recipe that will look like you spent all day in the kitchen. When in reality, these don’t take you more than an hour to to complete!
These Strawberry Basil Sandwich Cookies are sweet, savory and also lightly colored pink from the strawberries so they are a just pretty enough. This vanilla basil shortbread cookie is buttery, sweet, and crisp and pairs perfectly with the lightly sweetened and fluffy strawberry buttercream. Find the recipe below for these easy and oh so delicious Valentine’s Day cookies.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Strawberry Basil Sandwich CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Simple and elevated, these Strawberry Basil Sandwich Cookies are festive without being over the top for Valentine’s Day!
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
2 teaspoons dried basil
57 grams (2 ounces) organic strawberries
212 grams (1 1/2 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and you don’t see powdered sugar anymore, there will still be a few chunks of butter but that is okay because it’s very soft.
- Add the flour and basil into the butter mixture and mix on low until combined and smooth. The dough should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten each one slightly so they are about 1 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Bake for 13 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- To make the filling: De-stem the strawberries and cut them into small pieces. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the chopped strawberries, powdered sugar, and butter and mix on low until combined. Speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Put in a piping bag with no tip.
- Turn over every other cookie so they are all paired. Pipe a dollop of filling onto each cookie and sandwich them together.
- Store in a cool dry place, or in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!