This Spiced Sweet Potato Loaf Cake is a moist and tender sweet potato cake with comforting spices. It's covered in a sweet glaze for a delicious cake that is worthy of any fall or winter celebration.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This Spiced Sweet Potato Loaf Cake is one of those cakes that just transports you to the holidays. If I close my eyes, I would hear holiday music playing while I slowly savor each bite. The sweet potatoes make a very moist cake, think of a carrot cake – reinvented for a cooler time of year. And the sweet glaze on top goes well with the cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves.
This makes a pretty large loaf cake. So while normally I would say a 9 x 5-inch pan and 9 x 4-inch pan are easily interchangeable, that’s not the case with this recipe. Use the 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (which is 1 1/2 pounds) to give this the room it needs to rise. This is my favorite 9 x 5-inch pan from USA Pan, get it here.
Ingredients for Spiced Sweet Potato Loaf Cake
Organic Sweet Potatoes
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Spiced Sweet Potato Loaf CakeDifficulty: Easy
Loaded with fall spices that make you feel warm and cozy, this sweet potato cake is topped with a sweet glaze.
3/4 cup (170 grams) organic salted butter, softened
226 grams (1 cup) organic cane sugar
340 grams (12 ounces) organic grated peeled sweet potato
4 organic large eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup organic milk, room temperature
425 grams (3 cups) organic cake flour
2 teaspoons organic cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon organic cardamom
1/2 teaspoon organic cloves
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
212 grams (1 1/2 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 1/2 tablespoons organic milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 5-inch (1 1/2 pound) loaf pan with a strip of parchment paper that is long enough to over flow the two longer sides, for easier removal.
- To make the batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and cane sugar. Add the grated sweet potato, eggs, and milk and mix to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cinnamon, baking powder, cardamom, cloves, and sea salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Continue to mix on low until you don’t see any specs of flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing.
- To make the glaze: In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar and milk and whisk until a smooth glaze forms. Pour over the top of the loaf cake.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the cake flour with heaping 425 grams (2 2/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350 for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Air Fryer Loaded Garlic Bread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!