After making my Cranberry Orange Almond Cupcakes last month, I had lots of fresh cranberries in my fridge. So, I was thinking of what else I could bake with them. I thought to make a cranberry coffee cake because Delaney absolutely loves my coffee cake (which is going to be shared soon but in a different form than here, so stay tuned!). And Delaney has been working on the house so much lately, I knew he would love a snack to grab take with him to eat with his coffee.
Then, my friend Nicole, who has Dough Eyed blog – (if you haven’t checked her out yet, definitely do for high altitude recipes) posted a cake on Instagram the other day and called it a “snack cake”. I absolutely loved it, and then later went onto Pinterest and found out it’s a thing – where have I been? So, I figured that was a way better name for this recipe than a coffee cake. Because, that is exactly what this cake is – the perfect snack! I think I would classify snack cakes as ones that are a single layer, because I mean that’s more of a snack than an indulgence in my opinion.
So this cake is a moist and lightly spiced sour cream cake with a streusel topping (which is Delaney’s favorite) and of course a sweet glaze on top. Enjoy this with a glass of milk, a cup of coffee, tea, or just on its own. This would also make a really great holiday recipe, so make sure to bookmark this cake recipe for next Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Spiced Cranberry Snack CakeDifficulty: Easy
This Spiced Cranberry Snack Cake is like a coffee cake that is all dressed up for the holidays. Serve this for brunch or dessert!
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
2 organic large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup organic unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, room temperature
57 grams (1/4 cup) sour cream, room temperature
212 grams (1 2/3 cups) organic all purpose flour
14 grams (2 1/2 tablespoons) organic coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/2 baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
127 grams (1 cup) organic fresh cranberries
95 grams (3/4 cup) all purpose flour
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon organic Chinese Five Spice
6 tablespoons (85 grams) organic salted butter, melted
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- To make the batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and cane sugar. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks. Add the eggs, coconut milk, and sour cream and mix on low until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk together. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and continue to mix on low until combined into a smooth batter, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add in the cranberries and fold to combine completely.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Set a timer. While the cake is baking, prepare the topping.
- To make the topping: Add the flour, cane sugar, cinnamon, and Chinese Five Spice to a medium bowl and swirl together. Add the 6 tablespoons melted butter and fold together with a spatula until you have a paste.
- Once the timer goes off, remove the cake from the oven and using your hands, crumble the topping onto the partially baked cake batter. Return the cake to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- To make the glaze: Add the powdered sugar and water into a small bowl and whisk together. Drizzle the glaze on top of the cake.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the all purpose flour in the batter with 213 grams (1 1/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and replace the all purpose flour in the topping with 95 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes. After the topping is added bake for 20 more minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies and @mimibakesphotos on Instagram!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!