These Sourdough Chocolate Shortbread Cookies use sourdough discard to create a rich chocolate cookie that crumbles and melts in your mouth. I add a little espresso powder and dark chocolate for a decadent cookie that’s incredibly easy to make.
If you love shortbread cookies as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorites like my Kamut Flour Shortbread Cookies, Chocolate Dipped Almond Shortbread Cookies, or my Chocolate Malt Sprinkle Cookies.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You will love these Sourdough Chocolate Shortbread Cookies because they have the absolute best crumb. Their texture is a dense crumb that melts in your mouth as soon as you bite in, giving you all that buttery goodness that shortbreads hold.
These shortbreads are rich, chocolatey, with a hint of espresso powder. I use sourdough discard to give them a little more depth of flavor that just makes you wonder what that little extra something is.
I top these cookies with a dusting of cane sugar when they come out of the oven. And then I dip or drizzle these cookies with a little bit of dark chocolate, but this part is totally optional!
Ingredients for Sourdough Chocolate shortbread Cookies
Organic Sourdough Discard
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Sourdough Chocolate Shortbread CookiesDifficulty: Easy
These Sourdough Chocolate Shortbread Cookies use sourdough discard, have a rich chocolate flavor, and a delicious buttery crumb.
236 grams (1 cup) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa, sifted
43 grams organic sourdough discard
1 teaspoon organic espresso powder
Organic cane sugar
226 grams (heaping 1 cup) organic dark chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, discard, and espresso powder. Mix on low until a stiff dough forms.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap, turn out dough and form into a log that is about 14-inches long. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut the cookies into 28 cookies that are about 1/4-inch thick. Place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and bottom. Sprinkle with cane sugar immediately after coming out of the oven. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Using a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate. Half dip the cookies or drizzle chocolate on top.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 5 days or in an airtight container in the fridge.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350°F for 22 to 24 minutes, until set and dry.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Sourdough Chocolate Chip Brownies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!