There is nothing more pure and simple than chocolate and coconut, add a little sea salt and you have a sweet and salty cookie that is perfectly balanced in my mind. These Sea Salt Chocolate Coconut Sandwich Cookies are a perfect pairing to a big glass of milk.
If you love chocolate and coconut as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorite recipes like my Dark Chocolate Coconut Squares, Toasted Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies, or my Chocolate Coconut Loaf Cake.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You will love this recipe for Sea Salt Chocolate Coconut Sandwich Cookies! These start with a rich chocolate shortbread cookie that are topped with a sprinkle of sugar and sea salt. Then, I fill them with a creamy coconut buttercream frosting!
These Sea Salt Chocolate Coconut Sandwich Cookies are a decadent take on a classic sandwich cookie. If you love chocolate and coconut as much as I do, then you will love these simple and decadent cookies!
Ingredients for Sea Salt Chocolate Coconut Sandwich Cookies
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Sea Salt Chocolate Coconut Sandwich CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Rich dark chocolate shortbread cookies are sandwiched with a coconut buttercream filling and dusted with a sprinkle of sea salt.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
212 grams (1 2/3 cups) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic fine sea salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
227 grams (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 teaspoon organic coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until you don’t see powdered sugar anymore, you might still see butter chunks but that is okay as the butter is really soft. Add the flour and cocoa and mix on low until a smooth dough forms, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly so they are about 1 3/4-inches in diameter and look like disks.
- To make the topping: In a small dish, mix together the cane sugar and sea salt. Set aside.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until they look set and dry. Sprinkle with topping immediately after they come out of the oven. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and coconut extract. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag with no tip.
- Turn over every other cookie until they are all paired, try to put like sized cookies together. Pipe a dollop of frosting onto each turned over cookie, sandwich with the other cookie.
- Store in a cool dry place, or in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 212 grams (1 1/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 28 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until they look set and dry.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!