Growing up in the windy city, popcorn was a big deal. We had the famous Garrett’s and it was always a special occasion when we got to enjoy popcorn from the downtown shop. But, we also made it for movie night on the regular when we were at home. I never liked the microwave popcorn very much and always found myself passing the bowl when it came to me while sitting on the couch. I have since learned that there is a balance between buying a gourmet popcorn and microwaving a bag. And that is making your own gourmet popcorn at home.
Curling up on a Friday night on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn reminds me of how I spent many Friday nights with friends and family all throughout my childhood. And it’s still something I do on the regular, but with my dog and husband.
So, I made this Rosemary Sea Salt Popcorn and it is so good! I actually made it at the bakery today with Thea (with the thought of bringing it home tonight). But then we ate probably more than half of it before anyone else came in today! Then everyone else came in and finished it off. That is how good this popcorn is. So, I will definitely be making more. And, the best part is it is so simple to make! Find the recipe below.
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you’re making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don’t need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it’s already a healthy recipe, or you’re already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn’t mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Rosemary Sea Salt PopcornDifficulty: Easy
This simple homemade popcorn sure packs a punch. You won’t be able to stop popping this Rosemary Sea Salt Popcorn.
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic coconut oil
142 grams (heaping 1/2 cup) organic corn kernels
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter
1 tablespoon organic dried rosemary
1 to 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- In a large pot add coconut oil and 3 corn kernels, cover with a lid and put over medium/high heat. Once all kernels have popped, remove popped kernels and add all remaining corn kernels and cover with a lid.
- Intermittently, gently swirl around the kernels in the pot. Once kernels start to pop, shake the pot frequently so popped kernels rise to the top.
- When popping slows to 1 second between pops, remove pot from heat and remove lid.Carefully pour popped corn into a large bowl to cool (careful, kernels can still pop at this time). Make sure to transfer into a bowl with a lid so you can coat the popcorn in the next step. Or you can pour it back into the pot, using the lid.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and rosemary. Melt until completely melted and it starts to bubble, remove from heat. Pour over the popped corn and add the sea salt. Add the lid and shake to coat completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!