I will start this post by saying, if you know, you know. Puppy Chow is one of my favorite snacks! Puppy Chow is also known as Muddy Buddies, and I think that depends on where you grew up what you call it. I grew up in Chicago and that’s what we called it, but I’ve heard friends call it Muddy Buddies before. And, believe it or not, Delaney (who grew up on Maui) hadn’t heard of either one!
So, if you haven’t heard of Puppy Chow then let me enlighten you. This little snack is made with just 4 simple ingredients: chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Yes, that’s it! Some people use Chex brand cereal and some use Crispex brand cereal. But, since I’m 100% organic, I use Cascadian Farms Organic Multi Grain Squares. Puppy chow is just cereal coated in peanut butter chocolate and rolled in powdered sugar. It sounds easy (which it is), and it also sounds too simple to be so good. But, this stuff is like crack – you will not be able to stop eating it! The cereal clumps into little clusters which are just so good! So, how do you make Puppy Chow?
How to Make Puppy Chow
First, add the cereal to a large bowl. And I mean a large bowl! This is a pretty large batch (because, like I told you, this stuff is crack so you’ll want extra). But, you can also half the recipe if you want (but you might be sorry later :).
Next, you melt the chocolate and peanut butter together. You can do this in a double boiler, or you can even do this in the microwave. If you are going to microwave it, make sure that you only do 30 seconds at a time, remove the bowl, stir, and then do another 30 second interval, remove, and stir. Continue doing this until the chocolate and peanut butter is completely melted. The reason you always want to do 30 second intervals when melting chocolate in the microwave is so it won’t burn, so that is super important.
When the chocolate and peanut butter is completely melted, you pour it over the top of the cereal and stir together with a spatula. You want the cereal to be completely coated in the chocolate peanut butter mixture (do not let there be any dry spots of cereal!). Once the cereal is completely coated in chocolate and peanut butter, then you want to let it cool. You can pop it in the fridge for 10 to 20 minutes or you can let it cool at room temperature, whichever you prefer. But, the chocolate should not be hot or melted before the next step.
Once the cereal is cool, sift the powdered sugar over the top. If the chocolate is not cooled completely, then the powdered sugar will just melt into the chocolate, hence why you want to let it cool or pop it in the fridge. After you add the powdered sugar, then stir to coat the cereal completely so it’s entirely coated in powdered sugar.
You want to store Puppy Chow in a cool dry place. I actually keep mine in a cookie jar out on the counter (as it’s winter right now). But, if you make this in the summer, I’d advise keeping in the fridge!
Tips for Making the Best Puppy Chow
• Make sure you are using the best cereal, and that is Cascadian Farms Organic Multi Grain Squares in my opinion!
• Semi sweet chocolate is key for this classic flavor profile. This is what makes this Puppy Chow taste so nostalgic for me. I use Equal Exchange Chocolate Chips in this recipe, and they are a semi sweet chocolate chip that is actually vegan! So, even if you are vegan you can make this Puppy Chow recipe because my Puppy Chow is vegan! But, if you want to use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or even white chocolate, you can do that as well.
• Use the best quality peanut butter, whatever kind you like best. My favorite is actually the Organic Peanut Butter from Costco (Kirkland brand!).
• Make sure your Puppy Chow is completely cooled before adding powdered sugar on top. If it is not cooled, the powdered sugar can just dissolve and melt into the chocolate. And the powdered sugar is what keeps this Puppy Chow from not sticking together, which is why it should be cooled before adding.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Puppy ChowDifficulty: Easy
Make that nostalgic Puppy Chow healthier by using organic ingredients. This recipe for Puppy Chow is one you can feel good about indulging in!
10 cups (2 boxes) Cascadian Farms Organic Multi Grain Squares
595 grams (3 cups) organic chocolate chips
255 grams (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic peanut butter
284 grams (2 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
- Add the cereal to a large bowl, set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir to coat it completely. Place the bowl in the fridge for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the chocolate has completely cooled.
- Add the powdered sugar into the bowl and stir to coat the cereal completely.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 2 weeks.
- High Altitude — Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!