We’ve been having great weather for October, our own Indian summer up here. It’s been so warm and sunny. So, while technically it’s pumpkin spice season, it’s also still cold dessert weather this week. So, I have combined the two into this Pumpkin Spice Ice Box Cake.
Since I haven’t shared this kind of dessert on the blog before, thought I’d give you some info on it. What is an Ice Box Cake? Well to be clear, this isn’t a cake at all. It’s a layered cold dessert that can resemble the texture of cake, hence the name. One of the best things about these “cakes” is that they are so easy to make!
This one is made up of a few simple ingredients like graham crackers, heavy whipping cream, pumpkin puree, apples, a little sugar, and spice. But, it truly tastes like fall even though it is a cold dessert. You make this dessert the day before you plan to eat it so it can sit in the refrigerator overnight. This helps it become the texture it needs to be. Though, I was tempted and ate the whipped cream while I was making it. I can’t help it, Organic Valley makes the best cream for whipped cream! It’s so pure and delicious I can’t help but sneak a spoonful. Find this super easy fall inspired Pumpkin Spice Ice Box Cake recipe below.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Pumpkin Spice Icebox CakeDifficulty: Easy
This super simple Pumpkin Spice Ice Box Cake is a fall treat that everyone will love!
- Apple Mixture
2 large organic apples
47 grams (3 tablespoons) organic pumpkin puree
43 grams (3 tablespoons) organic cane sugar
3/4 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- Whipped Cream
28 grams (2 tablespoons) organic cane sugar
2 teaspoons organic pumpkin spice mix (like Frontier Co-Op)
1 package organic honey graham crackers (like Annie’s)
- Line a 9 x 5-inch baking pan with parchment paper. It’s better if you let the parchment hang over the sides for easier removal.
- To make the apple mixture: Slice the apples into thin slices, leaving out the triangle slices, only keep the flat ones. I just ate the other slices! Add the sliced apples into a bowl along with the pumpkin, cane sugar, and cinnamon and toss to coat completely. Set aside.
- To make the whipped cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the heavy whipping cream, cane sugar, and pumpkin spice mix. Whisk, starting on low to avoid splattering, and gradually increase speed once it doesn’t splatter, until you are at full speed. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble the cake: Line the bottom of the baking dish with graham crackers. You’ll have to break up a few larger crackers to fill the bottom, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Next, add a generous amount of whipped cream and spread evenly using a spatula or cake knife. Next add a layer of apples. Repeat the process until the dish is full.
- Place in the fridge and let set overnight. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies and @mimibakesphotos on Instagram!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out the post The Best Homemade Apple Pie Recipes, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!