This Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese is a sourdough sandwich with mozzarella, pepperonis, basil, oregano, and parmesan is delicious when dipped in marinara sauce. This perfectly golden and melty sandwich is perfect for when you're craving pizza, but just don't have the time.
If you love pizza, be sure to check out some of my other pizza inspired recipes like my Supreme Pizza Pot Pie and Pizza Avocado Toast. And check out my Food Vibes Sweatshirt (Pizza Vibes in the gold 🙂
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese is a grown up version of the classic. Sometimes you just want to eat like a kid, but you also want to do it with dignity, and this sandwich does it all. It's not just plain cheese and bread, it's mozzarella with fresh basil and oregano. I use organic pepperonis and fresh grated parmesan for a delicious nostalgic sandwich!
So, let this sandwich take you back to being a kid again. But, with some added protein and fresh herbs while you're at it! Enjoy this on a cool day when you just want a warm and comforting sandwich.
Tips for Making Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
• Use a sourdough or white bread. This is most similar to pizza crust, so stay away from whole wheat as the flavor profile won't be the same.
• If you're using slices of mozzarella, make sure they are thin so they melt easily. If you're using shredded cheese or string cheese, then make an even layer so it melts evenly.
• If you're using a frying pan or skillet and you have to cook one at a time or flip it, be sure to use butter each time! This is serious people, butter helps get that golden brown color and gives it flavor.
• Make sure you are using a low heat. The inside cheeses need to melt and so using a low and slow heat is better than cooking it on high. If you like your sandwich on the golden brown to darker side, you can turn up the heat at the end once the inside is fully melted and get a little more of a char.
• Heat your marinara sauce as your sandwich is almost done, this will allow your dipping sauce to be ready when your sandwich is.
Ingredients for Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
Organic Sourdough Bread (I used Boudin here)
Organic Fresh Basil
Organic Marinara Sauce
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you're making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don't need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it's already a healthy recipe, or you're already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn't mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled CheeseDifficulty: Easy
Just like your favorite pizza, this Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese is an easy way to indulge in that craving in just a few minutes!
4 slices organic sourdough bread
4 slices organic Mozzarella cheese
10 to 12 organic pepperonis
1 tablespoon organic grated parmesan
6 organic fresh basil leaves
pinch of organic dried oregano
4 tablespoons organic salted butter
1/2 cup organic marinara sauce
- Prep the sandwiches by placing each piece of bread side by side on a cutting board. Place a piece of Mozzarella cheese on each side (make sure your slices cover each bread slice entirely).
- Add the 3 to 4 slices of sausage onto one side. Sprinkle the top of the sausages with grated parmesan, fresh basil leaves, and the pinch of oregano.
- On a griddle, add the butter and put over low heat, allow butter to melt. Place each slice of bread onto the griddle topping side up. Cook over low heat until cheese starts to melt. Carefully place the bread slice with cheese only on top of the one with sausage, and continue to cook until golden brown on each side.
- Add the marinara sauce to a pot and put over medium heat until warm.
- Serve with marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- Gluten Free – Use gluten free bread.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Air Fryer Loaded Garlic Bread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!