Chocolate and peanut butter are an all time match made in heaven. And I decided to take a different approach than most with this Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcake recipe. Most chocolate peanut butter cupcake recipes are chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. However, I decided to make chocolate and peanut butter cake and top them with vanilla buttercream and roasted and salted peanuts.
This is a lighter version of a traditional chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting. While the chocolate cake stays moist thanks to the addition of peanut butter, it is such a nice compliment to a classic vanilla buttercream frosting. I add roasted and salted peanuts on top for some texture and crunch! If you like chocolate and peanut butter then try these amazing Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes!
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Peanut Butter Chocolate CupcakesDifficulty: Easy
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes are topped with a creamy vanilla frosting and roasted and salted peanuts. When your chocolate peanut butter craving hits, reach for this recipe!
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter
170 grams (3/4 cup) packed organic light brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs, room temperature
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic peanut butter
1/2 cup organic milk, room temperature
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic sour cream, room temperature
142 grams (1 cup) cake flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
425 grams (3 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
2 to 3 teaspoons organic milk
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
organic roasted & salted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no chunks of butter.
- Add the eggs, peanut butter, milk, and sour cream and mix on low until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk together. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the cake flour mixture and mix on low until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again until combined into a smooth batter.
- Line cupcake pans with liners, and fill three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the cupcake pans.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until and light and fluffy. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with decorating tip #808, or no tip at all.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Store in a cake dome or airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the cake flour with 142 grams (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake 350°F for 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!