With Valentine’s Day coming up, you must all be looking for decadent chocolate desserts. This recipe came to me randomly when I was working on a project for my friends at Organic Valley last month. They had asked for something a bit more decadent as a prop for a recent shoot. And of course, I thought of brownies. However, I had no canola oil at home – just olive oil. I also had raspberries that I was using for the shoot, so here we are with a recipe for Olive Oil Raspberry Brownies!
Do you guys prefer cakey or fudgy brownies? I usually prefer fudgy brownies, but cakey ones have a place in my heart too and are really good when they have the right compliments to them. These brownies are more on the cakey side versus the fudgy side, which makes them a little bit lighter and not too rich. The added fresh raspberries bake into them and kinda create their own raspberry jam inside, which makes them a nice compliment to the cakey brownie.
I loved that I had no canola oil and just used olive oil. It gives these brownies a little bit of a savory side to them in a very subtle way. You could use any oil you have on hand, such as canola oil or coconut oil. The coconut oil would make a for a sweeter brownie too. Plus, I added some course sea salt on top because I love sweet and salty, but that is totally optional! Get the recipe for my Olive Oil Raspberry Brownies below.
Tips for Making the Best Olive Oil Raspberry Brownies
• Lining your pan with parchment paper is super important. This guarantees your brownies will come out in tact.
• When boiling water, boil more than 1/3 cup. If you walk away from the stove and your water has been boiling for a minute, some can evaporate. Better to add a little extra, so when you’re actually pouring the boiling water over the chocolate you don’t run out. I heat the water, then measure exactly 1/3 cup, then pour into my mixing bowl over the chocolate.
• When measuring the water, make sure to use a measuring cup and not a liquid measuring cup as those can be inaccurate if you aren’t looking at it straight on.
• Once you pour in the hot water, you must work quickly as it immediately starts cooling. So don’t leave your brownies at this stage. Once you add the hot water, you must mix immediately in order to melt the chocolate.
• After mixing in all your ingredients, make sure to spread the brownie batter evenly into the pan. It will bake how it’s spread, so if it’s uneven on one side or corner, you’ll notice it when they come out of the oven!
• Make sure to store your brownies in an airtight container so they retain their freshness.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Olive Oil Raspberry BrowniesDifficulty: Easy
Moist, chocolatey, and cakey brownies are filled with raspberries and dusted with a flaky sea salt for a sweet and salty indulgence.
191 grams (1 1/2 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla bean
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
226 grams (1 cup) organic cane sugar
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder
43 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
1 organic large egg
1 organic large egg yolk
113 grams (scant 1 cup) organic raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, vanilla bean, baking powder, and sea salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cane sugar, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate chunks. Pour boiling water on top of the dark chocolate chunks and immediately start mixing on low. Adding the boiling water will melt the dark chocolate and combine the rest of ingredients into a smooth looking chocolate.
- Add the olive oil, egg, and egg yolk to the chocolate mixture. Then add the flour mixture right on top and mix on low until combined, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Stick the fresh raspberries into the brownie batter right on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude – Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!