When I’m not eating stuff I bake myself, I have other treats in my pantry at all times. Obviously. One of the things I love to buy is organic chocolate candy. Because candy is time consuming, if I find good stuff I just buy it.
Theo Chocolates is one of my favorite chocolate brands. I love their Coconut Dark Chocolate Bars, which was how I discovered the brand. But, then I discovered they have these Coconut Bites. They are coconut candies, which are even better than the bars, as the filling is coconut! They have a Salted Almond one and they used to have a mint one, but it appears that one has been discontinued. So, today I’m sharing a recipe for my own version of their mint one, because I can thankfully still buy the others!
This coconut candy recipe is so easy to make, and there’s only 6 ingredients! I love having these in my freezer, that way I can pull one out anytime I’m craving candy. Get the recipe below for my Mint Chocolate Coconut Truffles.
Tips for Making the Best Mint Chocolate Coconut Truffles
• Use soft butter for the filling, if your butter is soft the filling comes together in just a few minutes!
• Make sure to sift your powdered sugar. Sifting is really important so there are clumps of powdered sugar inside the candy, that wouldn’t taste very good. Powdered sugar can easily clump if it’s been in your pantry for even just a few weeks, so sifting is important. If you don’t have a sifter, find the one I use here.
• Always use whole milk when making candy. Fat is super important for flavor, especially in this candy recipe when there’s only 6 ingredients!
• Use high quality chocolate! I can’t stress that enough, using a high quality chocolate will make your homemade candy that much better. You can find the organic milk chocolate I use here. Don’t let the poor photo on the website fool you, this is the best organic milk chocolate!
• Use a high quality organic peppermint flavor, my favorite is linked here.
Mint Chocolate Coconut Truffles
4 tablespoons (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
170 grams (2 cups) organic unsweetened fine shredded coconut
1/4 cup organic milk
10 ounces organic milk chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon organic peppermint flavor
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, coconut, and milk. Mix on low until combined. Using your hands, form into 24 balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are firm.
To make the coating: Using a double boiler, add about 80% of the milk chocolate. Melt until it reaches 110°F on a chocolate thermometer. Remove from heat and add in the remaining chocolate and stir to combine completely. Allow the chocolate to come down to 89°F. Add in the peppermint flavor and stir to combine completely.
Drop each coconut ball into the milk chocolate, and using a fork remove it so the excess chocolate can drip off. Place back on the baking sheet.
Once all the balls have been dipped, put the baking sheet back in the freezer. Allow to sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes until the chocolate is hardened again, then drizzle the remaining chocolate on top for a pretty finish. Place back in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
Store in the fridge or freezer.
High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.