These delightful, bite-sized creations offer all the savory goodness of a classic French Dip sandwich but in a mini roll! These Mini French Dip Rolls are filled with tender, thinly sliced roast beef, melty cheese, and a side of savory au jus for dipping, made with bone broth. These mini rolls are guaranteed to become a favorite among your family and friends!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
I was asked by my friends at Kettle & Fire to make a recipe that would be great for the Super Bowl. They're doing a fun recipe bracket on their Instagram for Super Bowl week, so of course I said I would participate! Use code MIMIBAKESCOOKIES for 20% off your Kettle & Fire order!
I was thinking about good Super Bowl snacks and food. And my Ham & Cheese Rolls with Honey Butter have been really popular here, and Delaney also keeps asking me to make more. So, I thought about making French Dip Rolls because the Kettle & Fire Beef Broth would be perfect to make a homemade au jus sauce. But, then Delaney said I had to make them mini – because Super Bowl is all about snacking, which he is right!
So, here we are with Mini French Dip Rolls. This recipe makes about 40 mini rolls, and that's a great amount if you're having a Super Bowl party. Plus it makes them easily enjoyable on a buffet and allows people to snack! I use Kettle & Fire Beef Broth for to make homemade au jus sauce, which makes this homemade au jus sauce packed with tons of health benefits because I'm using bone broth!
Tips for Making Mini French Dip Rolls
• You'll need mini cupcake pans for this recipe. I use USA Pan Mini Cupcake Pans for this recipe, and they are perfect. I love USA Pan as baked goods bake better in their pans and they don't stick.
• I use my stand mixer for this recipe, as it's easy and hands free. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can also just use your hands! Simply mix together all the ingredients with your hands, and then knead for 5 minutes.
• When the dough is rising, make sure it has doubled in size, and don't just go off the time. Whenever you're making any kind of yeast recipe, it's important to use the visual cues in the recipe and not the time as everyone's environment can vary. I always provide a time to give you an idea of how long it may take, but it also could always take less time or more time. The dough should be doubled in size before moving onto the next step.
• When rolling the dough, be sure to roll it as tight as you possibly can! This will help keep the rolls rolled up well and not fall apart after they are baked.
• Bake until lightly golden brown, if they don't look done then bake for 1 more minute, and check again.
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you're making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don't need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it's already a healthy recipe, or you're already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn't mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Mini French Dip RollsDifficulty: Intermediate
7 grams (2 teaspoons) organic active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter
3/4 cup organic milk
446 grams (3 1/2 cups) organic all purpose flour
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 organic large egg
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon organic dried thyme
1 pound organic roast beef
- Au Jus Sauce
1 carton Kettle and Fire Beef Bone Broth
2 tablespoons organic salted butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons organic Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon organic celery salt
Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the yeast, 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar, and warm water. Stir to combine and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add the butter and milk. Stir until completely melted, remove from heat.
- Add the flour, remaining 57 grams cane sugar, and salt to the mixing bowl in that order. Add the egg and milk mixture and knead on speed 2 to 4 for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, add cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 3 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, add the butter and thyme and mix together.
- Separate dough into 4 pieces. Roll out each piece of dough to 8 x 5-inches. Spread the butter onto each piece of rolled out dough. Top them with roast beef. Roll the dough starting at the longer side inwards, tightly.
- Trim of the edges of each roll, as there may be parts where it’s just dough and no meat. Then slice the rolls into 1-inch pieces and place in a mini cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown on the tops.
- To make the Au Jus: Add the Kettle & Fire, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and celery salt into a small pot. Put over medium heat and melt the butter. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350°F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on the tops.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!