This Meyer Lemon Thyme Popcorn is a mix of sweet, savory, and salty. The perfect combination for a homemade snack!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Meyer lemons are very special not only because are they so much prettier than traditional lemons with their darker yellow skin that's smooth as opposed to rough, and their beautiful green leaves. But, their flavor is unlike traditional lemons. Meyer lemons tend to be sweeter and not as tangy or as tart as traditional lemons. That is part of why I love baking and cooking with them! If you are looking at a recipe that calls for Meyer lemons, you can always substitute a traditional lemon it's place, the recipe just won't have the same flavor and it will be more tart or tangy.
This Meyer Lemon Thyme Popcorn is an easy recipe to make at home on your stovetop! A trick to making homemade popcorn is never leaving the stove. The kernels pop rather quickly, so you have to make sure you're watching it the entire time for perfectly popped corn that's light, airy, and not burned!
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you're making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don't need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it's already a healthy recipe, or you're already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn't mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Meyer Lemon Thyme PopcornDifficulty: Easy
This Meyer Lemon Thyme Popcorn is savory with just the right amount of sweetness. Try this gourmet popcorn for your next movie night!
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic coconut oil
142 grams (heaping 1/2 cup) organic corn kernels
2 tablespoons (28 grams) organic salted butter
1 teaspoon organic dried thyme
1 Meyer lemon
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a large pot add coconut oil and 3 corn kernels, cover with a lid and put over medium/high heat. Once all kernels have popped, remove popped kernels and add all remaining corn kernels and cover with a lid.
- Intermittently, gently swirl around the kernels in the pot. Once kernels start to pop, shake the pot frequently so popped kernels rise to the top.
- When popping slows to 1 second between pops, remove pot from heat and remove lid.Carefully pour popped corn into a large bowl to cool (careful, kernels can still pop at this time). Make sure to transfer into a bowl with a lid so you can coat the popcorn in the next step. Or you can pour it back into the pot, using the lid.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and thyme. Melt until completely melted and it starts to bubble, remove from heat.
- Juice and zest the Meyer lemon. Add the juice of the Meyer lemon to the butter mixture. Add the sea salt and stir to combine completely. Pour the butter mixture over the popped corn. Add the lid and shake to coat completely. Add the lemon zest and shake to coat completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 7 days.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!