So tomorrow is my birthday… I don’t really like birthdays that much, I never really have. And, especially as you get older nothing special really happens – no elaborate parties, gifts, or surprises. So, I always bake myself something that I truly love. This year I was going to make Peanut Butter Candy Bars, but I burned the shit out of the condensed milk I was making a couple days ago (because I was talking to someone in the bake shop and completely forgot about it). I didn’t have time to start the process again that day, but they will make it to the blog soon – so stay tuned!
Instead, today I went with something a little easier and faster. One of my all time favorite kinds of cookies are what I call Frosted Cookies. This frosting (or glaze you could call it) was the only kind of frosting my mom knew how to make growing up. There was no recipe, it was just powdered sugar and then she added milk until it came together. So, I made a Lemon Frosting and put it on top of soft and chewy chocolate cookies, one of my favorite flavor combinations. I will be eating these cookies all week until my cookie jar is empty. Find the recipe below.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Lemon Frosted Chocolate CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Soft, chewy, and thick chocolate cookies are topped with a sweet and zesty lemon glaze and lemon zest.
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic packed dark brown sugar
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon organic almond flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
2 organic large eggs
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa, sifted
198 grams (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
283 grams (2 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons organic milk
1 teaspoon organic lemon flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
Organic lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, dark brown sugar, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond flavor. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk together.Add the eggs into the mixing bowl with the butter and dump the flour mixer over top. Mix on low until combined into a cookie dough.
- On a cookie sheet with parchment paper, ball cookies and flatten slightly into a round disk. They should be about 2-inches in diameter.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until puffy and set. Let cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- To make the frosting, in a mixing bowl add all ingredients and whisk until smooth. Frost cookies using a butter knife or spatula. Zest lemon zest on top.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Just substitute the organic flour for 212 grams (1 1/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend. Our favorite is Namaste Organic Perfect Flour Blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 375°F for 8 minutes or until puffy and set.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!