If you made my Lemon Curd, then you may be wondering what you can do with it besides put it on toast, waffles, or pancakes. And so today I am sharing this recipe for Lemon Curd Coconut Thumbprint Cookies. This easy thumbprint cookie recipe is light and refreshing, perfect for summer!
Tips for Making the Best Coconut Lemon Curd Thumbprint Cookies
• Make sure your butter is soft. I like to leave butter out on the counter to soften naturally, and that works really well this time of year when it’s so warm out! I use organic salted butter, my favorite being Organic Valley. If you are using unsalted, just be sure to add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the recipe.
• I use organic coconut extract, my favorite one being from Flavorganics.
• The cookie will puff up a little bit as they are baked with no filling. That’s why I use a teaspoon to just press them down right after they come out of the oven. This will allow you to have the largest cavity to fill in with the lemon curd!
• These need to be stored in the fridge, because of the lemon curd. So, be sure to keep them in the fridge so the lemon curd won’t sour. You can put them just on a plate or also put them in a tupperware if you want, they will be fine either way. If you are stacking them, be sure to add a layer of parchment paper.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Lemon Curd Coconut Thumbprint CookiesDifficulty: Intermediate
I use homemade Lemon Curd in the center of these lightly sweetened coconut thumbprint cookies. These are a summer delight that you don’t want to pass up!
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic coconut extract
1 organic large egg
350 grams (2 3/4 cups) organic all purpose flour
57 grams (2/3 cup) organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut
organic Lemon Curd
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar, and coconut extract. Mix on low until combined, then set a timer for 5 minutes and mix until the mixture is light in color and fluffy.
- Add the egg, and mix until combined. Add the flour and coconut, and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 30 balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Press your thumb into the center to create an indent.
- Refrigerate the cookie sheets for 25 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 19 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom. Immediately after the cookies come out of the oven, use a teaspoon and press it into the center of the indent to make it more prominent. Let cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Once cooled, fill each cookie with lemon curd.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 339 grams (2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!