Well, it’s officially Girl Scout Cookie season. We had a little one pop into the bake shop asking if we wanted to buy boxes… yes, I’m serious about that haha! Needless to say, obviously we did not want to buy any boxes. But, it did get me thinking that I should make some more of my own Girl Scout cookies. While the traditional ones are full of GMOs and other bad for you ingredients. I know I can make some of my favorites, but in a better way. My absolute favorite one is the Thanks A Lots, which I have already recreated and the recipe is inside my book, Cookies for Everyone.
While most people probably have fond memories of being a Girl Scout, mine are not so great. When we moved from Chicago to Michigan, my mom signed me up for Girl Scouts (without my approval) because she thought it would be a good way for me to meet new friends. She told me to go to the meeting after school, and walk home after. Well, let me just say I went to one meeting and swore them off forever. I’ve never been the kind of girl that was into large gatherings, group events, clubs or anything really social. I’ve always excelled at individual sports instead of team sports, and I’ve always been a loner and happy being that way. I’ve had best friends, few close friends, and lots of people I know and like but also don’t spend time with. I believe I’m just a more intimate person. And, my true friend circle has always been really small because it takes a lot to let people in. So, when I was in that first Girl Scout meeting in a new town, in a new state, in a new school, with tons of people I didn’t know – I was miserable.
So every Wednesday when I was supposed to be at a Girl Scout meeting, I secretly walked to my friend Emily’s house (the only friend of mine also NOT in Girl Scouts). Emily also ended up being one of my closest friends all through high school. We’d hang out and I’d walk home afterwards, pretending to my mom that I was at a meeting.
When cookie selling season came along, my mom asked where my cookie selling form was. Well as a ten year old kid, I hadn’t though that far ahead. The jig was up, and she realized how much I did not want to be a part of the Girl Scouts and thankfully agreed to not make me return. Though, I did buy cookies from all my friends still in the club.
Besides the Thanks A lots, one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies was always the Thin Mints. And, everyone knows they are better frozen. They really are just a very simple cookie, so I knew I could definitely make them with higher quality ingredients. A simple chocolate peppermint shortbread that’s covered in chocolate is all they are. And, they are so easy to make!
Homemade Thin Mints
Makes 36 cookies
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic peppermint flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
212 grams (1 2/3 cups) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
567 grams (20 ounces) organic dark chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and peppermint flavor. Mix on low until combined and you don’t see powdered sugar anymore, there will still be a few chunks of butter but that is okay because it’s very soft.
Add the flour and cocoa into the butter mixture and mix on low until combined and smooth. The dough should feel like play dough in your hands.
Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten each one slightly so they are about 1 3/4-inch in diameter.
Bake for 13 minutes or until set and dry. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
To cover the cookies: Using a double boiler, melt about 80% of the dark chocolate until it reaches 115°F on a chocolate thermometer. Remove from heat and add in the remaining 20%, stir vigorously to combine. Allow the chocolate to come down to 91°F.
Using a fork, dip each cookie into the chocolate and pick it up and let the excess chocolate drip off, place back on the parchment paper. Repeat with all the cookies. Place the cookie sheets in the freezer to set the chocolate, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the freezer and using the remaining chocolate, drizzle on top with a spoon. Place back in the freezer.
Store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Gluten Free – Replace the flour with 212 grams (scant 1 1/3 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 28 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until set and dry.
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies on Instagram!