Making your own salsa is much easier than it may seem. Delaney and I learned how to make homemade salsa when we lived at one of our many houses in Huntington Beach. We had a terrible roommate, and I’m not joking when I say terrible. He was the nicest person, and we worked together, and so we thought he’d be an awesome roommate. But – we were totally wrong! He was that roommate that left the front door wide open in the middle of the day, when he wasn’t even home! He was the roommate you’d wake up to at 2am on a Tuesday to find random girls in the kitchen. He was the roommate that took your clean laundry out of the dryer and placed it on the ground! And the worst part was he was so nice and never thought he was doing anything wrong, which made it even worse.
Okay, enough about that as I’m sure you’ve all been there! But, he did teach us how to make authentic Mexican salsa. It was his one thing he brought to the house – salsa. And ever since we’ve been making our own salsa, because it’s truly very easy to make. So today I’m going to share our easy Homemade Salsa recipe.
Tips for Making the Best Homemade Salsa
• If you like a mild salsa, you can leave out the jalapeño, as Serrano chilies are a more mild heat.
• If you like it more spicy, you can leave the seeds in the jalapeño.
• The size of the jalapeño and Serranos also make a difference, as if you have very larger peppers then you will have more heat. So pay attention to that while shopping.
• You can make the salsa any consistency you want. I like it a little chunky with chunks of tomatoes and onions. But, if you like it very smooth you can blend it longer until you get the consistency you like.
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you’re making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don’t need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it’s already a healthy recipe, or you’re already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn’t mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Homemade SalsaDifficulty: Easy
Try this recipe for easy homemade salsa, it will elevate your tacos, burritos, and quesadillas that you make at home.
2 pounds organic Roma tomatoes, de-stemmed
2 organic Serrano chilies1 organic jalapeño, seeds scooped out
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 large organic garlic cloves
1 medium organic yellow onion, diced
2 cups organic chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- Fill a 6-quart pot three-quarters full with water. Add the tomatoes, Serrano chillies, jalapeño and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Make sure the water is covering all the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- The tomatoes will start to burst and their skins will star to peel, about 5 to 10 minutes. As soon as this happens, remove the post from the heat.
- Using a high powered blender (or food processor), add the boiled tomatoes, Serranos, jalapeño, garlic cloves, onion, cilantro and salt. Pulse until the tomatoes are chunky and the salsa is a consistency you like. I like to leave in small chunks of tomatoes and onions. But, if you want a very smooth salsa, keep blending until you have it.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!