Cinnamon rolls are something I’ve been eating since I can remember. So today I’m sharing a recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls. They were always something my dad made on special weekends, as a breakfast treat. I remember thinking that breakfast was more like dessert and I loved every second of it! There’s just absolutely nothing like the soft pillowy dough that’s layered with brown sugar and cinnamon and topped with a sweet glaze.
Plus, cinnamon rolls are also good cold and reheated, there’s no way you can go wrong with a cinnamon roll! So today I’m sharing my classic Cinnamon Roll recipe for perfect fluffy and soft cinnamon rolls that you’ll want to make again and again. This recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls is so easy, and once you make it a couple times, I guarantee it will become second nature and you’ll end up making these Cinnamon Rolls all the time! Or you can also try my other variations I have that starts with this same amazing dough, but different fillings. Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls, Chocolate Sweet Rolls (probably my fave), Concord Grape Sweet Rolls, Strawberry Orange Sweet Rolls – they are all amazing! Get the recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls below.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Homemade Cinnamon RollsDifficulty: Intermediate
How to make homemade cinnamon rolls right here. This recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch makes the best weekend treat.
7 grams (2 teaspoons) organic active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter
3/4 cup organic milk
446 grams (3 1/2 cups) organic all purpose flour
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 organic large egg
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons organic cinnamon
340 grams (heaping 2 1/3 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup organic milk
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the yeast, 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar, and warm water. Stir to combine and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add the butter and milk. Stir until completely melted, remove from heat.
- Add the flour, remaining 57 grams cane sugar, and salt to the mixing bowl in that order. Add the egg and milk mixture and knead on speed 2 to 4 for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, add cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 3 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the filling: In a bowl, add the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix to combine completely.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a rectangle that is about 12 x 16-inches. Using a butter knife or spatula spread the butter all over the rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture to completely cover the butter. Starting at the larger side, fold the dough over and start to roll the dough until it is completely rolled into a log. Trim off each of the ends, then cut the dough log into 8 cinnamon rolls. Place in a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- To make the glaze: In a mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar and milk and whisk until you have a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the top of the warm cinnamon rolls, about 10 minutes after coming out of the oven.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies and @mimibakesphotos on Instagram!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Maple Cranberry Scones recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!