This recipe for Healthy Loaded Mac ‘N Cheese is so incredibly easy guys! I make this all the time, as I can easily switch it up by changing the veggies and protein. Not only that, but you can use a box of organic mac and cheese or you can also just use noodles and organic cheddar cheese powder. Either one will do! When I use a box of mac and cheese, I use Annie’s Organic as that one is my fave.
I take a classic box of mac and cheese and add fresh veggies and protein to create a healthy dinner that’s easy and quick. In this recipe I add red pepper, red onion, kale, and ham, but you can also use whatever you have in the fridge. If you don’t have the specific veggies or protein I used, I will give you guys some other loaded mac and cheese ideas here.
• turkey, zucchini, red onion, mushrooms
• chicken, mushrooms, spinach, scallions
• sausage, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms
• ham, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli
I love making this recipe as mac and cheese is nostalgic for me, and if you’re buying an organic version and loading it with good stuff, then this is a really easy and nutritious dinner that the whole family will love! Plus with all the variations, you can make this on the regular! Get the recipe below for my healthy Loaded Mac ‘N Cheese.
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you’re making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don’t need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it’s already a healthy recipe, or you’re already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn’t mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Healthy Loaded Mac ‘N CheeseDifficulty: Easy
This is a healthy recipe for mac ‘n cheese! Veggies are loaded into an organic boxed mac ‘n cheese recipe for an easy and healthy dinner. Be sure to try all my variations I provide in the post!
1 box Annie’s Organic Mac and Cheese
1 organic red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 organic red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons organic salted butter
3 to 4 tablespoons organic milk
2 cups organic kale, de-stemmed
6 ounces organic honey ham, diced
- Fill a pot with 6 cups water, and bring to a boil.
- Add the noodles, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until they are done (this will take a few minutes longer at high altitude, so make sure to test the noodles).
- While noodles are cooking, add the bell pepper and onion to a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent and fragrant and the peppers are cooked, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove the noodles from heat once cooked, and strain. Place noodles back into pot. Add the remaining butter, milk, and stir to combine completely. Add the kale and stir to combine, cover with a lid and let the steam cook the kale.
- Add in the onions, peppers, and ham and stir to combine completely. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- High Altitude — Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Dill Cream Cheese Spread recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!