Creamy and delicious, this From Scratch Cream of Mushroom Soup is perfect for lunch, dinner, or using to create other recipes like Green Bean Casserole!
If you love creamy soup try my Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Creamy Sausage Potato & Kale Soup, or my Creamy Pumpkin Spiced Soup.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Thanksgiving is almost here, and if you are planning on making the classic Green Bean Casserole then Cream of Mushroom soup is on your list. But you do not have to settle for canned soup! You can use from scratch Cream of Mushroom Soup – which will make your Green Bean Casserole that much better!
I am going to show you how to make your own Cream of Mushroom Soup. It is so easy! It’s a delicious soup that is used in many recipes, but it’s also good on its own as warm and cozy lunch or as a side dish to any meal.
This from scratch Cream of Mushroom Soup just uses a few simple ingredients, and it comes together really easily. You can make your own Cream of Mushroom Soup to use in Green Bean Casserole or other recipes! Get my recipe below.
Ingredients for From Scratch Cream of Mushroom Soup
Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream
Kettle & Fire Organic Vegetable Broth
Frontier Co-Op Organic Oregano
Frontier Co-Op Organic Black Pepper
Frontier Co-Op Organic Garlic Powder
O Organics Celery Salt
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour
Frontier Co-Op Organic Cornstarch
Why go organic?
You may be wondering why I push organic ingredients for everything, even savory and healthy dishes. Organic ingredients go beyond just health and wellness, and contribute so much to the taste and flavor of a recipe. So, if you think that you’re making something healthy and buying fruits, veggies, or meats so maybe you don’t need to spend the extra to go organic here – let me sway your thinking.
Organic ingredients are made in a more pure way, therefore using no additives, no GMOs, and minimal ingredients. This really allows the true ingredients to shine – and because of that their flavor shines through. Therefore, organic ingredients are more flavorful than their non organic counterparts. So, just because it’s already a healthy recipe, or you’re already buying good for you ingredients – it doesn’t mean you can skip organic! Trust me here, and make the switch. Your body and your taste buds will thank you!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
From Scratch Cream of Mushroom SoupDifficulty: Easy
From scratch Cream of Mushroom Soup makes an amazing lunch, or you can use it in recipes like Green Bean Casserole!
2 tablespoons organic salted butter
1/2 organic yellow onion, roughly chopped
8 ounces organic mushrooms, sliced
4 cups organic vegetable stock
2 cups organic milk
1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon organic thyme
1 teaspoon organic oregano
1/2 teaspoon organic sage
1/2 teaspoon organic black pepper
1/4 teaspoon organic garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon organic celery salt
32 grams (1/4 cup) organic all purpose flour
1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- In a large skillet, add the butter, onions, and mushrooms. Cook over medium/high heat and sauté until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add vegetable stock, milk, heavy whipping cream, thyme, oregano, sage, black pepper, garlic powder, and celery salt to a 6-quart pot. Heat on medium until combined and warm, about 5 minutes
- Remove 1 cup of the liquid and add it to a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer over medium-low heat. Slowly add the flour while whisking. Simmer while whisking constantly until you have a smooth and thick roux. Remove from heat and add back to the milk mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the mushrooms mixture to the soup and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cornstarch until completely combined. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is creamy and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or high powdered blender) blend soup to combine the mushrooms and onions completely, or leave small chunks if you prefer.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies and @mimibakesphotos on Instagram!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out the post The Best Homemade Apple Pie Recipes, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!