This recipe was too good not to share immediately! Usually I’m a couple months out from what I’m creating versus what I’m sharing. I have to be in order to stay on top of things! But, I recently made some French macarons for a friend, so I had quite a bit of egg yolks just sitting in my fridge. And, Delaney and I have been wanting to make this From Scratch Chocolate Pudding for a while.
So, we made this recipe for chocolate pudding from scratch. And it is so good! So good! This recipe for chocolate pudding from scratch is incredibly easy for making such a luscious and velvety smooth pudding that I was even surprised how quick and easy this came together.
This From Scratch Chocolate Pudding is the perfect recipe if you don’t want to turn on your oven right now. Plus, it makes a cool treat that you can top with Homemade Whipped Cream, fresh fruit, store bought cookies, or just eat it plain! Get the recipe below for my From Scratch Chocolate Pudding.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
From Scratch Chocolate PuddingDifficulty: Easy
Rich, smooth and chocolatey – this from scratch Chocolate Pudding is the only chocolate pudding recipe you’ll need! This easy to make chocolate pudding is one you’ll make again and again!
3 tablespoons organic cornstarch
1/4 cup organic heavy whipping cream
2 cups chocolate organic milk
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
3 organic large egg yolks
2 tablespoons organic salted butter
1/2 teaspoon organic ground vanilla bean
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and heavy whipping cream, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add the chocolate milk, cane sugar, and cocoa powder. Cook over medium heat until it reaches 140°F on a drink thermometer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Once the sugar and milk mixture has reached 140°F, slowly add about half of it into the egg yolks whisking the entire time. Then add this mixture back into the pot and whisk to combine completely.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture and whisk to combine completely.
- Continue to cook and whisk over medium heat until the mixture starts to simmer and has noticeably thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the butter and vanilla, whisk to combine completely.
- Pour into individual serving dishes or into a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge overnight.
- Once the pudding has set after 24 hours, it can be stored without the plastic wrap on it, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- High Altitude — Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Fresh Raspberry Custard recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!