So I guess I can say back in the day now… since the bake shop has been around for over six years! Well, back in the day we used to have Signature Cookies for our Ambassador Team that were created to be their favorite cookie and you could actually order them. One of our Ambassadors at the time, Austen Sweetin, asked us to bake him an Espresso Peanut Butter Cookie. We kinda raised our eyebrows at this when he asked, but we never knock something until we try it. So we tried it, and we loved it! We loved it so much we’re sharing the recipe with you here.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Espresso Peanut Butter CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Soft and chewy peanut butter cookies have espresso powder and peanut butter chips and are dusted with sugar.
14 grams (3 tablespoons) organic coffee beans
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic packed dark brown sugar
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar plus extra for topping
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
227 grams (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic peanut butter
1 organic egg1 organic egg yolk
142 grams (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
142 grams (2/3 cup) Sunspire all natural peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Grind the coffee beans until they are very finely ground.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the butter, sugar, dark brown sugar, ground coffee and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the peanut butter and eggs, and mix on low until combined. Do not over mix once the peanut butter has been added.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and sea salt. Then add to butter mixture and mix on low until combined. Add the peanut butter chips, and mix just until combined.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 24 balls and place on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly so they are about 2-inches in diameter and look like a round disk. Space them at least 1 inch apart, they will spread a little when baking.
- Bake for 11 minutes until cracked and set on top. Immediately sprinkle with cane sugar when cookies come out of the oven. Let cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Make sure you are grinding the coffee beans yourself because buying ground coffee will not be ground fine enough for the cookies and they will be grainy. Also, coffee beans and ground coffee weigh the same, but measure differently, so if you are using already fine ground coffee make sure to use the weight measurement and not the tablespoons because that would be too much ground coffee for the recipe.
- Gluten Free – Replace the all purpose flour for 155 grams (1 cup) organic gluten free flour blend, our favorite is Namaste Organic Perfect Flour Blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 375°F for 8 minutes until cracked and set on top.