I was asked by my friends at Organic Valley to create a recipe for Hot Chocolate Bombs. Now, I’ve seen these before all over Pinterest. I know what the gist is – you drop them in warm milk or pour it over the top and these chocolate bombs explode with hot chocolate mix inside, you stir it up, and you have a delicious hot chocolate.
Well, every single recipe I’ve ever seen has used a mold to create the bombs. You have to paint chocolate into two half dome molds, let them set, then glue them together with all the goodies inside. As a seasoned baker, even this seemed daunting to me. I thought that there has to be a better way! I expressed to Organic Valley that I would like to create an easier version of this winter treat, and they agreed!
So, guess what – my Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe does not require any molds! Yes, you heard me, no molds needed. I make the hot chocolate filling easy to roll with your hands, even your kids can help out here, and then you just dip them in chocolate, a very similar process to a truffle. But, it’s a hot chocolate bomb that turns into amazing hot chocolate once you pour warm milk over the top! The best part about these hot chocolate bombs is you can freeze them, I have a bag in my freezer and just pull one out when I want a hot cocoa. Get the recipe below for my Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs.
Tips for Making the Best Hot Chocolate Bombs
• Make sure your butter is soft. When mixing the butter, powdered sugar, and cocoa together, if the butter is not soft it won’t mix together well. Also, stiff butter can make everything in your mixer go flying out haha. I like to remove butter from the fridge the day before or the morning of when I will use it. Letting it soften at room temperature is always the best. But, if you need to soften in the microwave, then only soften 1 stick for 10 seconds at a time. Anymore than that at once can melt small portions of the butter, which isn’t good.
• After you form your balls and they are in the freezer, when you remove them, you can form them again. If your filling is kinda sticky the firs time, once it’s chilled it is very easy to just reshape those balls if they were a little uneven.
• I like to use a fork to dip them because the excess chocolate can drip through the holes and back into the bowl.
• We want the chocolate to be hardened before drizzling the white chocolate on top. This is just for decoration and is purely optional! But, still if doing this step, it should go straight back into the freezer after the drizzle to harden completely as this will make it looks best. If the white chocolate sits on top and is hot, it starts to thin out as it melts. So that’s why it goes back into the freezer for a minute.
• These can also be stored in the freezer! I’ve made hot chocolate with them straight from the freezer as well.
• When making hot chocolate, make sure to mix/stir completely to get all the goodness of the bomb into your hot chocolate!
What is a chocolate bomb made of?
Hot chocolate bombs are made up of the exact ingredients that are in hot chocolate. So, that is mainly sugar and chocolate of some kind. While some hot chocolate is made with chocolate, some is made with cocoa – hot chocolate bombs can have chocolate, cocoa, or both.
Traditionally hot chocolate bombs are made of chocolate balls that are filled with cocoa and sugar. It can be incredibly challenging to make these chocolate balls or spheres and fill them with the ingredients, so that is why I made this Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe as it does not require a mold or making the spheres.
What do hot chocolate bombs do?
Hot chocolate bombs are made up of chocolate and sugar. These ingredients dissolve when added into hot milk, thus creating a hot chocolate that you can drink immediately!
How do you drink a hot chocolate bomb?
Well, you don’t drink the actually hot chocolate bomb. You heat milk and drop the hot chocolate bomb into the warm milk. That’s where the bomb comes into play, as it blows up (or dissolves) into the hot milk as you stir and it it creates a hot chocolate right before your eyes. Then, you drink and enjoy the hot chocolate.
What do you do with a chocolate bomb?
You heat milk and drop a hot chocolate bomb into the warm milk. The bomb goes off, or dissolves, into the milk as you stir it. This creates a hot chocolate drink that you can drink right away. It’s a run way to enjoy and make hot chocolate! The best thing about my Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs is you can store them in the fridge or freezer and it allows you to make hot chocolate in an instant anytime!
What makes these easy hot chocolate bombs?
Traditional hot chocolate bombs are made using a mold where you have to mold two halves of a sphere of chocolate, then fill them with cocoa and sugar, and then glue (with chocolate) the two half circles together to create a ball or bomb.
With my recipe for Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs, there is no mold required! I use sugar and cocoa along with butter and milk, and roll it together to create a ball. These simple balls can be made with the help of your kids too! Then, the balls are dipped in chocolate for a nice coating. That’s it! Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs in no time at all.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Easy Hot Chocolate BombsDifficulty: Easy
This simple recipe for Easy Hot Chocolate Bombs doesn’t require a mold. Make these simple no mold hot chocolate bombs and have hot chocolate in an instant!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), mix the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa power, and 1 tablespoon of milk on low until combined.
- Using your hands, form the chocolate mixture into 12 balls, each about 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch in diameter, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the balls harden, at least 15 minutes.
- Using a double boiler and stirring frequently, gently melt the milk chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Remove the chocolate balls from the freezer. Lifting with a fork (do not pierce) so the excess chocolate can drip off, dip the balls into the melted chocolate and place them back on the baking sheet.
- Using a double boiler and stirring frequently, melt the white chocolate until smooth (note that white chocolate melts much faster than milk, so don’t leave it unattended). Using a spoon, drizzle the white chocolate over the tops of the chocolate chocolate covered balls.
- Store in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To serve: Add one hot chocolate bomb into a mug. Heat 1 cup of milk until it reaches 160°F on a drink thermometer (you don’t want to boil the milk). Pour hot milk over bomb (or drop bomb in) and stir to combine completely. Add whipped cream or marshmallows!
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!