This Dark Chocolate Chip Cake is a classic three layer white cake. This lightly sweetened and fluffy cake is finished with a dark chocolate chip buttercream frosting for a crowd pleasing cake that everyone will love.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
A simple white cake can really take on the flavor of almost anything, while providing a lightly sweetened flavor. It's part of why I love white cake so much, as it's the perfectly light and sweet compliment to any flavor profile.
I made a simple dark chocolate chip buttercream to finish this cake. I chop dark chocolate into small pieces and add into classic buttercream. I finish the layer cake with this dark chocolate chip buttercream, for pieces of dark chocolate that shine through. This simple layer cake makes a classic cake for any celebration!
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Chip Cake
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Dark Chocolate Chip CakeDifficulty: Intermediate
This white cake is sweet and oh so fluffy! It's topped with a vanilla buttercream that's filled with dark chocolate chunks for a simple and heavenly cake.
3 organic large egg whites
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
198 grams (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic milk, room temperature
170 grams (1 cup plus 3 tablespoons) organic cake flour
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
454 grams organic powdered .sugar, sifted
57 grams organic dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line three 6-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the egg whites and whisk starting on low. The egg whites will turn frothy, gradually increase the speed until you're at full speed and whisk until stiff peaks form. Transfer the egg whites to a separate bowl, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can use the same bowl from the egg whites, no need to wash), add the butter, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks. Add the milk and mix on low until combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, add the cake flour, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk together. Turn the mixer on low, and slowly add the cake flour until completely combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and continue to mix on low until completely combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add in half the egg whites. Fold with a spatula and combine completely, then add in the remaining half and fold to combine completely until you have a smooth cake batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pans, they should weigh about 215 grams each. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the cake pans.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the powdered sugar, butter, and dark chocolate chunks. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- On a cake stand or spinner, add the first cake layer. Then add a generous amount of frosting, top with the second cake layer and repeat the process. Frost the rest of the cake and leave the top looking rustic by only smoothing the sides.
- Store in a cake dome or in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the cake flour with 170 grams (1 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 17 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- To learn how to crumb coat a cake, visit my tutorial How to Crumb Coat a Cake.