It’s still summer, and we have been so lucky to have such an amazing summer this year. We’ve had sunshine, no fires – so no smoke, and we haven’t really had many eighty plus degree days. So it’s made baking so much more enjoyable. But, it’s still been high seventies and for us that is hot! So, of course I’ve been cooling off with cold desserts.
This cool Mint Dark Chocolate Fro Yo is the perfect dessert for summer. It’s cold, it’s minty, it has chocolate – what more could you want? Some of you may know that when I first opened my bake shop I made frozen yogurt from scratch daily. It was such a labor of love, and I truly love fro yo! It’s definitely my favorite frozen dessert, and I’ve always favored it over ice cream. But, sadly making fro yo and baking every single thing from scratch was just too much – we had to give somewhere, so we focused on baking and started serving ice cream instead. Don’t get me wrong, Straus Organic Creamery is amazing and they make the best ice cream around. I don’t even try to make ice cream, because why would I when I can just eat theirs?
But, fro yo is something I don’t get on a regular basis anymore so it’s really a special treat when I make it. And, I usually hoard it all to myself. I also don’t make my fro yo with nonfat milk or yogurt, I use whole milk and full fat yogurt. This gives it so much more flavor than the watery and lack luster fro yo that you traditionally see at frozen yogurt shops. So, what are you waiting for? Put your ice cream maker in the freezer, gather the ingredients – there is literally only six! And let’s make some real organic fro yo!
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Cool Mint Dark Chocolate Fro YoDifficulty: Easy
This creamy mint fro yo is filled with dark chocolate chunks for a healthier but equally delicious version of your favorite ice cream.
2 cups organic milk
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
2 ounces (57 grams) organic white chocolate, finely chopped
1 pound organic plain yogurt
1 teaspoon organic peppermint flavor (like Frontier Co-Op)
2 ounces (57 grams or scant 1/2 cup) finely chopped organic dark chocolate
- First, place the bowl of your ice cream maker and a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan in the freezer.
- In a medium pot, add the milk, cane sugar, and white chocolate. Put over high heat, and stir until it reaches 140°F on a thermometer. The sugar and white chocolate will be completely dissolved. Place the pot in the fridge and let it sit overnight.Remove the pot from the fridge, add in the yogurt and peppermint flavor and whisk until combined.
- Remove the ice cream maker from the freezer, and turn it on low (yes, with nothing in it). Slowly pour the yogurt mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for about 20 minutes (or follow the instructions on your ice cream maker). I have the KitchenAid attachment for my mixer, and I did about 20 minutes. If you over churn ice cream or fro yo, then it can make it really icy.
- Remove the loaf pan from the freezer.
- Once the fro yo is done churning, add the dark chocolate and mix with a spatula to combine. Pour into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Place back in the freezer overnight.
- High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!