French toast is probably one of my favorite breakfast recipes to make. It’s a quick and easy dish that seems fancy, and you get to eat maple syrup with it! Unlike waffles and pancakes, which take a little more time, French toast is only a few extra minutes compared to eggs, toasting a bagel, or making a smoothie bowl.
I make French toast on the regular! And this Coconut French Toast recipe is probably my absolute favorite French toast recipe ever. If you don’t know, coconut is my favorite, and I will choose it every single time. I also think that the coconut makes this easy French toast recipe less sweet than traditional French toast with cinnamon. It’s much lighter and goes so well with maple syrup and fresh fruit. If you don’t have pineapples or blueberries, it would also be delicious with strawberries, blackberries, bananas, and raspberries! Get the recipe below for my easy Coconut French Toast.
Tips for making the best Coconut French Toast
• Use bread that you like. If you prefer white bread, use it. If you prefer wheat, use it. The flavor of the bread you choose will come through in the French toast, so it should be one that you like. For this specific recipe I chose white bread because I wanted a neutral bread that was slightly sweet so the coconut flavor would shine through.
• Make sure to soak the bread for a few minutes. You shouldn’t see any dry spots on the bread before you dip it in the coconut. Soaking it until it is completely coated is important as that gives the flavor to the French toast and also allows the coconut to stick.
• Use a low/medium heat so you get a golden brown color, as that’s where the flavor will shine through and the coconut will become toasted.
• Do buy pure organic maple syrup. This is one of the items I really highly recommend spending a little more and buying the good stuff!
• Eat your French toast immediately after cooking it. This is not a recipe to save and it’s best when eaten immediately.
Coconut French Toast
Makes 4 slices
85 grams (1 cup) organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut
4 slices organic white bread
2 organic large eggs
1/4 cup organic coconut milk
1/4 cup organic coconut oil, for cooking
organic maple syrup
Method In a shallow dish, add the coconut.
In another shallow dish, add the eggs and milk, and whisk together. Soak 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture.
In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and put over low/medium heat. Once the coconut oil has melted, dip the 2 slices of soaked bread into the coconut and place in the skillet. Cook until lightly golden brown on the bottom, flip and cook until lightly golden brown on the other side. Remove from heat.
Soak the remaining 2 pieces of bread in the egg mixture, and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the skillet. Dip the 2 slices of soaked bread into the coconut, and cook until lightly golden brown on the bottom, flip and cook until lightly golden brown on the other side. Remove from heat.
Serve with maple syrup, pineapple, and blueberries.
Gluten Free – Use gluten free bread.
High Altitude – Follow the recipe as noted.
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies on Instagram!