Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are my all time favorite take on classic chocolate chip! They are the cookie flavor that built my bakery business, and today I’m sharing my favorite Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies with you.
If you love chocolate and coconut as much as I do, try my Dark Chocolate Coconut Squares, Chocolate Coconut Loaf Cake, or my Toasted Coconut Chocolate Scones.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Chocolate chip cookies with coconut were the first thing I started baking on my own, and it was the first recipe I ever created originally. I used to bake chocolate chip cookies all the time, and my dad would then ask me to make some with coconut in them. He said he used to get a cookie like that as a kid, and he loved them, so he asked me to try to make them. I love coconut just as much as my dad does, it’s probably where I get it! So, of course I always obliged.
My Dad’s Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe was born in high school. It’s the cookie that I founded my bake shop with, and the recipe is in my book Cookies for Everyone but my friend Jackie of Sweet Girl Treats recently shared the recipe on her site, check it out here!. I don’t make Dad’s Coconut Chocolate Chip as often anymore, since I retired from the bakery business. There were many many years when I made hundreds of them daily. And, I was craving them the other day but I actually ended up creating a new recipe instead. So, if you love my Dad’s Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies, this Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe has even more coconut flavor than my original does, and they are amazing!
I use coconut oil in these cookies instead of butter, so you get even more coconut flavor from the coconut oil. But, you still get a soft and chewy cookie, and one that is even thicker which is something I love! I also use both fine shredded and wide flake coconut in these cookies, so you get multiple textures of coconut. And of course, I use semi sweet chocolate chips because they are classic! This is a recipe that I will be making again and again. They are right up there as far as favorites go along with my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies (and I know how much you all loves those)!
Tips for Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Make sure that you mix the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until there are absolutely no chunks of coconut oil. You don’t want it melted, but warm is fine. You just want to make sure that no chunks remain, just like butter in a cookie, if there are chunks of coconut oil that don’t get mixed in then it will form pockets that will melt when baking. Not only that, but the rest of the cookie could be dry as it the fat didn’t mixed in properly.
- I always use organic unsweetened coconut no matter if it’s fine shredded or the wide flake, it is the best kind! I like to buy Food to Live Organic Fine Shredded Coconut online since I am so remote, but you can also find it at most health food stores as well. The organic unsweetened wide flake coconut is more specialty, and I also buy Food to Live Organic Wide Flake Coconut on Amazon too!
- I use Equal Exchange Organic Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips in these cookies. They are one of my favorite semi sweet chocolate chips. I love them because they don’t have any soy and have very minimal ingredients.
- If you don’t want to bake off all of these at once, you can keep the cookie dough balls in the fridge for up to 7 days. Just be sure to store in an airtight container, and make sure to flatten them to the 2-inches in diameter before baking.
- You can even store the baked cookies in the freezer for up to 1 month. Just be sure to put them in an airtight container like a Tupperware of zip bag before putting in the freezer.
Ingredients for Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Costco Kirkland Organic Coconut Oil
Homemade Organic Light Brown Sugar
Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
Cairnspring Mills Organic All Purpose Flour
Food to Live Organic Coconut Flour
Equal Exchange Organic Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Food to Live Organic Unsweetened Wide Flake Coconut
Food to Live Organic Unsweetened Fine Shredded Coconut
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Coconut Chocolate Chip CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Soft, chewy and full of coconut and chocolate – these Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies will satisfy anyone’s craving!
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic coconut oil
170 grams (3/4 cup) packed organic light brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
3 organic large eggs
191 grams (1 1/2 cups) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (scant 1/2 cup) organic coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
198 grams (1 cup) organic semi sweet chocolate chips
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic fine shredded unsweetened coconut
43 grams (3/4 cup) organic wide flake unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the coconut oil, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are absolutely no chunks of coconut oil.
- Add the eggs, flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and sea salt in that order. Mix on low until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips, fine shredded coconut, and wide flake coconut and mix on low until combined.
- Using your hands form into 24 balls and flatten slightly so they are about 2-inches in diameter. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the bottoms. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free — Replace the all purpose flour with 198 grams (1 1/4 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude — Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 or until lightly golden brown on the bottoms.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies and @mimibakesphotos on Instagram!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!