Today I’m sharing a recipe for a classic flavor combination. Basically if we make anything with chocolate and salted caramel at the bakery – it sells. I’ve learned that this is what the people want. So these Chocolate Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies are a recipe that everyone will love!
I love thumbprint cookies because they are easy to make, but they seem impressive. Not only that, but they are filled with delicious-ness. I use Mama Ganache Milk Chocolate Chips, as they are little round disks of milk chocolate. These are perfect for the center of thumbprint cookies as they are perfectly round and flat, and they are the exact size! This also makes it really easy to cover them with caramel. You can use milk chocolate pieces in a pinch, but they may not be perfectly round.
These Chocolate Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies go best with a glass of milk. I use my homemade Caramel Sauce recipe, and I like to make that the day before so it’s ready to go and not hot when I fill the cookies. Caramel sauce is best at room temperature, so making it ahead of time and allowing it to cool and com to room temperature will really make these cookies that much easier. Get the recipe below for my Chocolate Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Salted Caramel Thumbprint CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Butter cookies are filled with milk chocolate, caramel, and sea salt in these Chocolate Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1 organic large egg
383 grams (3 cups) organic all purpose flour
30 pieces of organic milk chocolate chunks
Course sea salt
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined, then set a timer for 5 minutes and mix until the mixture is light in color and fluffy.
- Add the egg, and mix until combined. Add the flour, and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 30 balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Press your thumb into the center to create an indent. Place a piece of milk chocolate in the thumbprint. Refrigerate the cookie sheets for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 19 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom. Let cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Once cooled, cover the milk chocolate centers with caramel sauce. Top with course sea salt.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 397 grams (2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic gluten free flour blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!