So it’s the middle of January, and if you’ve thrown out all the sweets in anticipation of going without them, you’re probably craving something sweet right about now. Cue the frantically searching your pantry for something, anything sweet! Well, if that’s you right about now then I have a really easy cookie that you probably have all the ingredients for and don’t even realize it.
Today I’m sharing a recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Cracker Cookies. Yes, I said cracker cookies. I’ve seen people make these before and everyone calls them Ritz Cookies (because they use Ritz crackers). Well, Ritz are not organic and as delicious as I remember them being, I have found an organic version of them that is just as good! The O Organics brand from Vons makes one and they are amazing. I bought a box for my Nostalgic Holiday Cheeseboard last month and couldn’t believe how good they were!
So, I have always wanted to make a version of these Ritz cookies I see all over Pinterest. And when I did, let me tell you, they did not disappoint! You only need six ingredients for these cookies: butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, milk, crackers, and chocolate. These cookies are made by sandwiching peanut butter between two crackers and then coating them in chocolate. Most people just use peanut butter in the center, but I filled mine with my peanut butter buttercream. And I’ve been obsessed with these little cracker cookies, they are so good! They’re sweet, they’re salty, and they are covered in chocolate. What more could you want? Get the recipe for my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cracker cookies below.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Peanut Butter Cracker Cookies
• Make sure your crackers are not stale! Use a fresh box as the crispy and crunchiness of these cookies is part of what makes them amazing!
• When making the filling, make sure to whip it – whip it good! This should be nice and fluffy, so scraping down the sides of the bowl is a crucial step to get that extra light and fluffy frosting.
• To make a double boiler, grab a 2-quart pot and heatproof bowl (metal or glass). Fill up the pot 1/3 way with water, put the heat on high and when the water is boiling, add the bowl with your chocolate in it. You can turn the heat down to low, or leave it on high, depending on your stove, it really just depends on your stove. I have an electric stove at the bake shop and I can melt chocolate on high and it never burns. I have a gas stove at home, and I have to melt chocolate on low (the lowest) setting otherwise it burns! So, start out on low and if it’s taking a long time, you can increase the heat. If your chocolate seizes up, then that means it’s burned. If that happens, you’ll have to start over.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cracker CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Simple butter crackers are sandwiched with peanut butter filling and coated in milk chocolate. This crunchy, sweet, and salty cookie is one you won’t be able to get enough of!
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
28 grams (2 tablespoons) organic peanut butter
1 tablespoon organic milk
16 ounces (454 grams) organic milk chocolate, chopped
- To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and milk. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pair up the 48 crackers so every other one is turned over. Pipe a dollop of frosting onto each turned over cracker and sandwich the pairs together. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes so the filling can harden, this will make it easier to coat them.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and dip each sandwich into the melted chocolate. (I use a fork so excess chocolate can drip off.) Place back on the baking sheet (you can use a cooling rack if preferred to let excess chocolate drip off easier).
- Place baking sheet back in the freezer to set the chocolate for about 10 minutes. Remove from the freezer and drizzle the extra chocolate on top.
- Store in the fridge for up to 7 days, or the freezer for even longer. I actually prefer to keep these cookies stored in the freezer because they are so good to eat frozen!
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!