Spring is trying to make it’s way to Mammoth right now, but we’ve still been having light dustings of snow here and there. I am so ready for spring! Not only because we are trying to get our house built, but I am really ready for some warm weather and sunshine.
I always think of honey as a spring flavor because I usually tend to get sneezy, and feel a little bit like I have allergies during this time of year when all the snow is melting. So, I like to stock up on local honey to help me curb them. And, I love to make honey desserts!
On Friday I made these bad boys – Chocolate Dipped Honey Cardamom Sandwich Cookies – and they are a perfect way to eat your honey! Sandwich cookies have slowly crept into my recipe repertoire, and they have also become one of my favorite cookies. They are so popular at the bake shop! We didn’t even make sandwich cookies when we opened, but when we started baking them people just couldn’t get enough. Customers always choose them over other cookies in the pastry case every time, probably because they are filled with frosting. I love them because they are perfect combination of textures. Rich, buttery and crisp shortbreads filled with smooth and silky buttercream. These ones are even better because they are dipped in chocolate.
Below is the recipe the recipe for this spring version, a simple vanilla shortbread cookie with a honey cardamom buttercream filling and dipped in smooth milk chocolate. Make sure you buy organic chocolate that is good for melting, like Mama Ganache (which is what we use at the bake shop).
Chocolate Dipped Honey Cardamom Sandwich Cookies
Makes 18 sandwiches
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
226 grams (1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon) organic powdered sugar, sifted
14 grams (2 teaspoons) organic raw local honey
1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon organic cardamom
5 ounces (1 cup) organic finely chopped milk chocolate (like Mama Ganache)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
To make the cookies: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and you don’t see any powdered sugar. There might still be butter clumps, but that’s okay as it’s very soft.
Add the flour and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten slightly so they are round disks that are 1 3/4-inches in diameter.
Bake for 13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool completely on cookie sheets.
To make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, honey, and cardamom. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Put in a piping bag with no tip.
Flip over every other cookie and pair them so they are all paired. Pipe filling onto all the turned over cookies and sandwich them together.
To make the topping: In a double boiler, add 80% of the milk chocolate. Melt until it reaches 115°F on a chocolate thermometer, remove from heat. Immediately add in the remaining 20% and stir vigorously to combine completely. Allow temperature to come down to 89°F.
Dip half of each cookie into the tempered milk chocolate, place back on the cookie sheets. Place in the fridge to set for 1 hour.
Store in a cool dry place, or in an airtight container if you live in a humid climate for up to 7 days.
Gluten Free – Replace the organic flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) Namaste organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies on Instagram!