These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are buttery, crisp, and melt in your mouth. They're the perfect cookie for dipping in milk as they won't get soggy on you!
If you love shortbread cookies as much as I do, be sure to check out some of my other favorite recipes like my Chocolate Dipped Almond Shortbread Cookies, Kamut Flour Shortbread Cookies, or my Olive Oil Shortbreads.
What is a shortbread?
Shortbread cookies are traditional Scottish cookies that are made with butter, sugar, and flour – and no leavening. A leavening agent is baking soda or baking powder which makes baked goods rise. So shortbreads don’t have that, therefore their texture is actually very dense compared to most other cookies. And it’s supposed to be that way! I like to describe them as dense, buttery, and crisp.
And I know there’s people out there that say oh I don’t like crunchy cookies. Trust me I’ve owned a bakery for ten years, people get heated on this topic. And you know what, I don’t like “crunchy cookies” either but shortbreads are not crunchy! They are buttery, crisp, sweet and absolutely delicious! A crunchy cookie in my mind, is a stale soft cookie. So I feel the hatred for crunchy guys, but a crisp cookie is not that!
I think all types of cookies should be appreciated, not just the traditional soft and chewy kind! And shortbread cookies are definitely one to be appreciated. Their buttery crumb and melt in your mouth texture is amazing, and they pair perfectly with a cold glass of milk or even a hot chocolate in the warmer months.
Now because shortbreads only have 4 ingredients, those ingredients really matter! Butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla extract all play a huge part in this little cookie as it’s all it has. So make sure you’re using the best organic ingredients for these cookies so you get the truly best flavor!
Tips for Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
• Make sure your butter is soft. This is the key to the whole cookie! If you go into this with butter that’s not the right consistency your shortbread cookies will have a completely different and weird texture, one that is undesirable to eat. Butter is the main ingredient here, and it needs to be treated like the star of the show! The butter should be softened, that means if you poke it with your finger it will make an indent easily. The best way to get shortbread ready butter is to leave it out on the counter overnight.
• The dough should feel like play dough in your hands. If it's not smooth and it's not cohesive, mix it a little longer. If you've been mixing it and it's not coming together, it's the butters fault – or yours, as you didn't use soft butter! That's why the butter is so key in this recipe. It should come together very quickly, only a minute or two at the most. So if you're having issues here, then look to the temperature of your butter.
• Use a high quality organic vanilla extract for the best flavor. My favorite is Simply Organic Vanilla Extract.
• Shortbread cookies are supposed to be crisp – so these are best kept at out on a platter or in a cookie jar that is not completely sealed. Unlike a lot of baked goods, which should be stored in an airtight container, these should not be stored in an airtight container because they will soften.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread CookiesDifficulty: Easy
This easy recipe for Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies only contains 5 simple ingredients.
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
142 grams (1 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
142 grams (3/4 cup) organic semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and you don’t see powdered sugar anymore, there will still be a few chunks of butter but that is okay because it’s very soft.
- Add the flour and chocolate chips and mix on low until combined and smooth. The dough should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, form the dough into 36 balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten each one slightly so they are about 1 3/4-inch in diameter.
- Bake for 13 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- Store in a cool dry place, or in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I'm sure you'll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!