I love these Chocolate Chip Biscotti because they are so simple yet so delicious! I was never a huge fan of biscotti growing up, and I don’t really know why. My mom always made it around Christmas time and she always said how she loved out crispy it was. I’ve never been a fan of “crispy” cookies, however biscotti has won me over.
These are the perfect cookie for dipping in your milk, hot cocoa or tea. They are so simple to bake, no fuss and can be a one bowl kind of cookie. I use my stand mixer to make them, but you could also just use a bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula. Find the recipe for my favorite Chocolate Chip Biscotti below.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Biscotti
• Make sure your butter is soft. I like to leave butter out on the counter overnight, as it softens best at room temperature. If it’s still cold out, then microwave the butter for 10 seconds at a time (per 1 stick) and leave out on the counter until it’s ready to use. You can even do this night before too. I currently have butter resting on my counter.
• When forming the biscotti log, make sure it’s even so the biscotti cooks evenly and you have even sized pieces.
• The resting period is very important for biscotti, as this allows you to easily cut it without it breaking. If you do cut it and it seems hot or doughy still, you can let it rest a little bit longer. You want nice clean cuts. And if it was very doughy and broke easily at this stage, then that’s an indicator that you should have baked it a little longer. Everyone’s oven is a little different, so make a note of that for the next time you bake it, and add 5 minutes to the initial time.
• For the second bake of the biscotti, make sure it’s golden brown and crispy looking upon coming out of the oven. You can always bake it a little bit longer here as well, as everyone’s oven is a little different. Set a timer for 2 minutes and go from there.
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Chocolate Chip BiscottiDifficulty: Easy
This Chocolate Chip Biscotti is a classic recipe that everyone will love, you just need to serve it with a big glass of milk for dipping.
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
85 grams (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic cane sugar
85 grams (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) organic packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
142 grams (3/4 cup) organic semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar, dark brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until all ingredients are combined and there’s no butter chunks. Add the eggs and mix just slightly.
- Add the flour, sea salt and baking soda in that order. Mix on low until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Form a large log out of the cookie dough and flatten slightly on the prepared baking sheet, it should be about 1 inch thick and 13 x 4 inches.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the middle looks set, but not completely done. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Trim off the edges, then slice into 12 pieces and bake again for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Store in cool dry place for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the all purpose flour with 269 grams (1 3/4 cups) of an organic gluten free flour blend, our favorite is Namaste Organic Perfect Flour Blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the middle looks set but not completely done, then remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut as instructed and bake again for 15 minutes.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think may also like it!