I love making biscotti, it’s one of my favorite things to bake. It’s just as easy as cookies, it’s something different than cookies, and they last forever. Not to mention, they are a great breakfast option for lazy days, or days at home.
Biscotti are the perfect dipping cookie too. Tea, coffee, milk, hot cocoa – whatever you want it’s perfect for pairing with biscotti. I prefer to pair this Chocolate Almond Biscotti with a cup of tea. Speaking of tea, we just got in the cutest tea jars at the bake shop. We are now carrying The Tea Spot and I’m in love with all their organic teas!
I dipped these in milk chocolate because we always have more milk chocolate on hand at the shop because it’s only used for a few things, compared to dark chocolate. But, you could also dip them in dark chocolate if you prefer as well. But, I really like the smooth milk chocolate combined with the richer flavor of the cocoa in the biscotti. Get the recipe for my Chocolate Almond Biscotti below.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Almond Biscotti
• Make sure your butter is soft. I like to leave butter out on the counter overnight, as it softens best at room temperature. If it’s still cold out, then microwave the butter for 10 seconds at a time (per 1 stick) and leave out on the counter until it’s ready to use. You can even do this night before too. I currently have butter resting on my counter.
• When forming the biscotti log, make sure it’s even so the biscotti cooks evenly and you have even sized pieces.
• The resting period is very important for biscotti, as this allows you to easily cut it without it breaking. If you do cut it and it seems hot or doughy still, you can let it rest a little bit longer. You want nice clean cuts. And if it was very doughy and broke easily at this stage, then that’s an indicator that you should have baked it a little longer. Everyone’s oven is a little different, so make a note of that for the next time you bake it, and add 5 minutes to the initial time.
• For the second bake of the biscotti, make sure it’s golden brown and crispy looking upon coming out of the oven. You can always bake it a little bit longer here as well, as everyone’s oven is a little different. Set a timer for 2 minutes and go from there.
• Tempering the chocolate is optional. I like to temper it when I make biscotti as biscotti can sit out on the counter for days, so I like to temper the chocolate so it doesn’t get sweaty. If you don’t temper it, you may want to store the biscotti in the fridge.
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Makes 12 biscotti
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
170 grams (3/4 cup) organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs
212 grams (1 2/3 cups) organic all purpose flour
43 grams (1/2 cup) organic Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
113 grams (1 cup) organic sliced almonds with their skins
10 ounces organic milk chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no chunks of butter. Add the eggs and mix just slightly, enough to break the yolks.
In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and sea salt and whisk together. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low until a stiff dough forms. Add in the sliced almonds and mix until incorporated.
Using your hands form a large log out of the cookie dough and flatten slightly so it’s about 1-inch thick, it should be about 13 x 3 inches. Bake for 35 minutes or until the middle looks set, but not completely done. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Trim off the edges, then slice into 12 pieces and bake again for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
To make the topping: Using a double boiler melt 80% of the milk chocolate. Once it reaches 110°F on a chocolate thermometer (find here), remove from heat and add in the remaining 20% and stir to combine completely. Allow the chocolate to sit until it reaches 91°F on a chocolate thermometer and is in the tempering stage.
Dip one side of each biscotti into the milk chocolate, place back on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the biscotti. Place baking sheet in fridge to set the chocolate for about 1 hour.
Store in a cool dry place, or in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Gluten Free – Replace the all purpose flour with 227 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend.
High Altitude – Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the middle looks set but not completely done, then remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut as instructed and bake again for 15 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies on Instagram!