If you were wondering if you can make shortbread cookies with brown sugar, you absolutely can! Today I’m sharing my Brown Sugar Shortbreads recipe. This shortbread cookie recipe is so easy to make, and it’s an amazing fall cookie. Enjoy it with a cup of tea or a coffee for an afternoon snack!
Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!
So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.
Brown Sugar ShortbreadsDifficulty: Easy
Rich, buttery, and crisp – these Brown Sugar Shortbreads are made using brown sugar for a twist on a new classic you are sure to love!
1 cup (226 grams) organic salted butter, softened
71 grams (1/2 cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
71 grams (1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) packed organic light brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks.
- Add in the flour and mix on low until combined into a smooth dough, it should feel like play dough in your hands.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into 24 balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten them slightly so they are about 2 to 2-1/2 inches in diameter. Using a fork, poke them three times in the center.
- Bake for 18 to 21 minutes or until golden brown on the bottoms and edges. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Store in a cool dry place for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free — Replace the all purpose flour with 226 grams (scant 1 1/2 cups) organic gluten free flour blend and 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour.
- High Altitude — Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown on the bottoms and edges.
Did you like this post?
Make sure to check out my Slice & Bake Vanilla Shortbreads recipe, which I’m sure you’ll love too! And, share it with someone who you think will like it too!