Today is February 1st, that means Valentine’s Day is less than 2 weeks away. Don’t worry as you’re scrolling here and not seeing anything pink or heart shaped. I have other festive Valentine’s Day recipes. But, sometimes the holidays aren’t always about being really festive. Sometimes they are about giving the person you love something that they will love.
What does love in a dessert mean for me? It definitely doesn’t mean red, pink, purple or hearts. It means bold, bright and flavorful with a texture that is to die for. So, if I were making a Valentine’s Day dessert for myself, it would be these Pistachio Blueberry Cookies. They are a soft and chewy, melt in your mouth kind of cookie, topped with a thick and fluffy frosting that isn’t too airy. They have my favorite fruit inside – blueberries, but in a dried form, which makes them juicy and smaller so I am able to get multiple blueberries in every bite. And, they are topped with a sweet and nutty pistachio frosting and a few more chopped pistachios on top. I know that this says nothing about Valentine’s Day from looking at it, but for me – this is pure love.
So I challenge you all to make something for your significant other, family or friend that truly is what they love. Red, pink and hearts aside – think about what your special Valentine really loves to enjoy. I have so many recipes on the blog that could be made for any occasion. If your husband loves oatmeal, make him our Frosted Oatmeal Cookies. If your dad loves chocolate chip, just make him some simple Chocolate Chip Biscotti. And if your daughter is obsessed with pink then make her Pink Peppermint Ice. But, Valentine’s Day is all about showing love – not just creating something festive. So remember that this month when you’re showing others you care.
Blueberry Pistachio CookiesDifficulty: Easy
Soft and chewy blueberry cookies are complimented with a pistachio icing and chopped pistachios on top. The best blueberry cookie recipe!
1/2 cup (113 grams) organic salted butter, softened
113 grams (1/2 cup) organic cane sugar
57 grams (1/4 cup) organic packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
2 organic large eggs
255 grams (2 cups) organic all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
142 grams (heaping 3/4 cup) organic dried blueberries
- Icing and Topping
1/4 cup (57 grams) organic salted butter, softened
340 grams (2 1/2 cups) organic powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon organic pistachio extract
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon organic heavy whipping cream
30 grams (scant 1/4 cup) organic roasted & salted pistachios, shelled & finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no butter chunks.Add the eggs and mix just slightly, enough to break the yolks.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, baking soda and sea salt and whisk together. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low until combined into a dough. Add the dried blueberries and mix on low until combined.
- Using your hands, form cookie dough into 24 dough balls (12 on each tray). They should look like a round disk that is about 2-inches in diameter.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
- To make the icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar, cream and pistachio extract. Mix on low until combined, then speed mixer up to high until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again for 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag or spatula, frost cookies. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top on top.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- Gluten Free – Replace the organic all purpose flour with 269 grams (1 3/4 cups) Namaste Organic Perfect Flour Blend.
- High Altitude – Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes or until golden brown around edges.