Almond Joy Cookies

These cookies are one of my new favorites! Almond Joy candy bars were one of my favorite candy bars as a child, and one that my dad loved as well. So, I could usually talk him into sharing one! To me, there is nothing better to me than chocolate and coconut!

how to make almond joy cookies

These cookies are also naturally gluten free, for those of you who can’t have wheat or for those of you trying to appease a gluten free friend but still wanting something equally delicious for yourself – these cookies are it! And if you’re timid of gluten free – I’m going to stop you right there. Bake these cookies and I bet you won’t even be able to tell they are gluten free.

To top it off, these are actually such a good cookie to keep in the fridge! I love cookies, but sometimes in the summer when it’s so hot out eating a room temperature cookie isn’t as enticing as eating a cool treat. So, keeping these in the fridge satisfies my craving for something cool while still allowing me to eat my favorite dessert. We’ve had these in the bakery fridge for the past week and the girls and I hav all been eating them every day, they are so delish! Get the recipe for my Almond Joy Cookies below.

Why Organic

Why use organic ingredients in this recipe? You all know I’m a huge organic advocate, and I bet you may be thinking sometimes, Why would I even bother to use organic ingredients in something that is so sweet and indulgent? But, that is the exact reason why you should use organic ingredients! Sweet things need to have flavor in order to be good, otherwise they are just sweet and they don’t taste like much else. Organic ingredients are more pure than conventional ones, therefore they actually have more flavor than the non organic options. Say it with me, organic means more flavor! And not just more flavor but a more true and pure flavor. And organic ingredients are much healthier for you to eat in general as they do not contain GMOs or anything artificial. Plus, you are being environmentally friendly when you choose organic ingredients!

So, I highly recommend that you buy the best organic ingredients for this recipe! You can also shop my Amazon Storefront for all my favorite organic ingredients here. Tip – hover over each ingredient to see the name. And if you want to learn more about organic foods and the difference, read my post here on Food Labels and What They Mean.

how to make almond joy cookies
how to make almond joy cookies

Almond Joy Cookies

Recipe by MimiDifficulty: Easy
Makes

20

cookies

Coconut and almond flour make these cookies naturally gluten free, but they’re so good you won’t even notice or care – because they taste just like your favorite nostalgic candy, but in cookie form!

Ingredients

  • Dough
  • 113 grams (1/2 cup) organic coconut oil

  • 226 grams (1 cup) organic cane sugar

  • 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract

  • 2 organic large eggs

  • 198 grams (2 cups) organic almond flour

  • 57 grams (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) organic coconut flour

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

  • 85 grams (1 1/3 cups) organic wide flake coconut

  • 67 grams (1/2 cup) organic sliced slivered almonds

  • Topping
  • 43 grams (1/2 cup) organic unsweetened fine shredded coconut

  • 8 ounces organic milk chocolate, chopped

Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  • To make the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the coconut oil, cane sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on low until combined and there are no chunks of coconut oil.
  • Add the eggs, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and sea salt in that order. Mix on low until combined and a dough forms. Add in the wide flake coconut and the almonds, mix on low until combined.
  • In a shallow bowl, add the fine shredded coconut. Using your hands, form the cookie dough into 20 balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly to about 2 1/2-inches and dip the tops into the fine shredded coconut, place back on the cookie sheets. Sprinkled remaining coconut on top.
  • Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Allow to cool completely on the cookie sheets.
  • To temper the chocolate: Using a double boiler, add in about 80% of the milk chocolate. Melt, using a chocolate thermometer until the temperature reaches 110°F. Remove from heat and add in the remaining 20% chocolate and stir vigorously to combine completely until smooth. Allow to come down to 89°F.
  • Dip the bottoms of each cookie into the milk chocolate, place back on the cookie sheets bottom down. Place the cookie sheets in the freezer to se the chocolate.
  • Store in a cool dry place, or in the fridge for up to 7 days.

Notes

  • High Altitude – Bake at 375°F for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.

Did you make this recipe? 
Make sure to tag @mimibakescookies and @mimibakesphotos on Instagram!

Leave a Comment